Is Linux your primary OS?

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
tlmiller

Re: Is Linux your primary OS?

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I'm impressed you were able to do that on a 1GB Pi.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

In perspective though 25 years ago this sort of task was done on a 33Mhz 486pc with 16MB RAM and 80MB hard drive running Win95. In that view were are actually losing ground using a computer with an order of magnitude more resources to do the same thing.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

There will always be simple tasks to perform even as tech advances but to have the ability to do much larger tasks is a nice thing.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

wove wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:55 am In perspective though 25 years ago this sort of task was done on a 33Mhz 486pc with 16MB RAM and 80MB hard drive running Win95. In that view were are actually losing ground using a computer with an order of magnitude more resources to do the same thing.
In 1994-1996 I was quite happily doing production level DTP with Pagemaker 3 and Quark Xpress 4 on a 4mb 386 with 80mb hard drive using Windows 3.11 for Workgroups. WP was Word 2 or WordPerfect 5.1 DOS or WordStar. US Robotics 9600 modem and I think AOL and or Compuserve connected the outside world. Happy days!
In 1997/8 I moved over to Linux but was no longer doing the DTP stuff.
wove

Post by wove »

In the 1994-1996 time frame I was using a 68030 Mac with similar specs and using much the same software. Pagemaker, WordPerfect. I only had a 2400 modem and connected to Compuserve. Someone had written a HyperCard stack to use with Compuserve. PhotoShop 3.5 was my first realization that color could actually be quantified. It was a good time, lots of time to experiment.

I did not move to Linux until 2000-2001, mostly due to what seemed like a debacle move to OS X. I was very distressed that what I used and considered excellent hardware was just not going to be supported for the move.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Windows 3.1 brings back memories but didnt give Linux a try till 2006 but was never a complete convert due to my background in gaming. I loved the old days as everything was new and wonders were around every corner.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:41 pm In the 1994-1996 time frame I was using a 68030 Mac with similar specs and using much the same software. Pagemaker, WordPerfect. I only had a 2400 modem and connected to Compuserve. Someone had written a HyperCard stack to use with Compuserve. PhotoShop 3.5 was my first realization that color could actually be quantified. It was a good time, lots of time to experiment.

I did not move to Linux until 2000-2001, mostly due to what seemed like a debacle move to OS X. I was very distressed that what I used and considered excellent hardware was just not going to be supported for the move.
94-96 was my time of discontent with Windows. It's what ultimately pushed me to linux, even though I didn't actually go full time for over 1/2 decade after that. Probably 96 was when I started trying linux due to my unhappiness with Windows. Sadly at the time I had a winmodem, which were FAMOUS for being difficult, at best, to get working with linux due to the lack of any documentation to help reverse engineer the drivers for them (since all functions were via software drivers). But I knew from the first time I started trying live CD's of distro's that I preferred that OS if I could get it to work. Fast forward to the EARLY aughts and I got it to work (YAY Libranet!!), then shortly thereafter moved to where I had broadband access, and by 2002 I was abandoning Windows wholesale.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Win95 had a lot of issues and the patches helped but overall it was a tough go. Win98 was far better but Win98SE was my favorite and a great gaming OS.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I was a fan of 3.11 for Workgroups, after that...I kinda felt that it was all downhill, with the exception of 2000, which I thought was a great OS, but "too little too late" for my tastes.