Is Linux your primary OS?

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Is Linux your primary OS?

Post by crosscourt »

Not in my case as recently Ive had to go back to Win10 due to various reasons, but I am using Linux at work. Mobile use Im using Chrome OS primarily due to the security and privacy advantages it has.
Site Moderator
wove

Re: Is Linux your primary OS?

Post by wove »

PopOS on my X240 is my main productive system. It is the default storage place for records, content and creation. I use it for banking, shopping, diligent research. It is the main print station, email station, scanning station and fixed place to sit and write. I use a Windows Surface tablet for a lot of consumption. I read ebooks/pdfs, keep up with current affairs; it is a nice drawing and handwriting tablet and I also like to play some solitaire on it. It has replaced a laptop for out of home base work.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im using Feren OS as my Linux distro as it offers the more recent KDE updates with a beautiful GUI and Ubuntu repos. Its far more stable than Neon is and looks way better.
My Chromebooks are my out of home system but I do use my Dell laptops with Win10 for tech work.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yes. Of my 7 laptops and 1 desktop, I have:

4 installations of Debian 11 KDE (testing, although now in freeze so months from release)
3 installations of EndeavourOS KDE
1 install of KDE Neon
1 install of Windows 10 Home (on my desktop as a secondary and rarely used OS)

Having installed Feren OS in a VM, I can say without doubt that I disagree with "it looks better than KDE Neon". It is, by default, quite ugly, as it appears to try to make KDE look like OSX. *VOMIT* Nope, while it can be made quite attractive, that is an absolute butterface out of the box.
Last edited by tlmiller on Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wove

Post by wove »

I am looking forward to Debian 11. I am wondering what DE versions they will be settling on. (Probably something older :( ). More immediately I am looking forward to the release of Fedora. I want to give Gnome 40 a try and I would like to give the Silverblue variant a try as well. Ubuntu is sticking with Gnome 38(?) and Pop OS says it will be using a mix. I will be looking at the new PopOS when it comes out because I have it installed and upgrading is easy.

One of the great powers of KDE is the ability to make it look however you want it to look. That does produce a number of distros where you have to ask, "What were they thinking?" I think at the end of the day you either go Debian for the long term support and great stability or Arch where you have the latest versions, and which ever direction you might go you can create whatever look you want for KDE.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Debian 11 will be released with Gnome 3.38 as the "default" desktop. If 40 had been released probably 2 months earlier than it was, then it's POSSIBLE it might have made the inclusion, but it was released FAR too close to the freeze to be packaged and tested in time.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You havent tried Feren recently have you?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rmrAr9-MNA
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yes, that's the default look I'm talking about. FAR, FAR, FAR, FAR, FAR uglier than a bone-stock plasma IMO. I actively DISLIKE OSX layout. It's ugly, and I think it's also a bad use of screen space. That's very much attempting to emulate that "look" without actually using some form of a OSX style launcher. Honestly, I liked the old hideous green look better, at least it wasn't an ugly layout, only an ugly color.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You do realize that as Ive mentioned in my posts I dont use their default GUI and have customized it a bit more towards a standard KDE setup. Im using both actually right now and honestly enjoying both but I rarely use multiple desktops, so its not something I want that prominently on my panel.

Your the first person whos had that strong a reaction to Feren's design that Ive encountered. To each his own. Neon is stock Kubuntu so its fine and certainly can be optimized but so can Feren.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I look for consistency and workflow. KDE Plasma was very good at both. I think they have let their application stack falter, making it necessary to use applications from outside their DE and personally I find that a pretty jarring experience and it takes a toll on productivity.

The YouTube video show along with other stuff, VLC media player, Nemo file browser and Gnome disks. So you have to deal with workflow and motor memory from different very different DEs. I do not see how a user can every be productive with such a mismatch or every get really comfortable. That is what I really love about Trinity DE, two weeks into using it and the UI just disappears, motor memory knows the key shortcuts, which are consistent across applications, UI control elements are consistent across application, both in placement and in execution. It is so easy to just be totally focused on the project at hand.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But a computer DE is a working environment with a collection of tools and in the end, while it need not be ugly, it is probably better judged by how well you can focus on the project and do those tasks to finish the job.