Spending more time with Windows than expected

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Spending more time with Windows than expected

Post by crosscourt »

Between clients, friends, family, gaming and eventually my work after retirement, Ive been spending a lot more time with Win10. Its hard to avoid, even though Ive tried to do just that for the last two years. Its an intrusive ecosystem that doesnt give you a lot of choice. Just the fact that my wife uses it for business and my gaming work online requires it, keeps me in that ecosystem a large amount of the time. Chrome OS is second as I use my Chromebook a lot of the time. So recently Linux is taking a bit of a back seat.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Spending more time with Windows than expected

Post by crosscourt »

In particular Ive been spending quite a bit of time helping with 20H2 updates and with cloning drives to larger drives as people are working more from home and are keeping data close at hand. Quite a few small upgrades such as more ram and better displays. Its been challenging as I cant go to their home, so they drop off drives or I do video help as they do their own upgrade by hand. I dont do remote work as there have been some legal issues recently in my area and it can land you in hot water.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just finished cloning more drives for my systems as Ive been going to larger drives and ssd drives. Im using a tool called MiniTool Shadowmaker which is excellent and free.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Finished installing 20H2 on my other Dell E4300 and the performance is excellent.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Win10 has a hard time prioritizing which updates it installs at the same time, leaving you sitting there with a system that wont act because multiple updates all want to install. What would have taken 10 minutes in Linux became an hour or more ordeal just to install 4 updates.
One was for 20H2, one was for .net, one was the malicious code removal tool and the other a display driver.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dell 7470 just arrived and is running great on Win10 20H2. Very fast processor compared to my 6440 laptop.

Its been odd as Ive been working in Windows about 90% of the time due to my needs and only use Linux on my work laptop.
Its more like the old days when I was gaming and working on Windows most of the time.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I can barely remember the last time I've used Windows at any time nowadays. With my work laptop being KDE Neon, and only my desktop having a Windows install, I go months at a time now without touching it. IT's gotten bad enough when forced to fix a Windows laptop at work, I get confused how to do things.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive used Win10 so much recently I can do things really quickly. Most of my recent clients are Win10 and Im not working with the non-profit much any more so Im in Windows almost all the time. Ive got one laptop at work running Feren OS and thats it. Its sad as everything Im doing in tech, gaming and support to friends and family is all Windows. ChromeOS is fast becoming my only Linux as I still use it quite a bit.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, all my friends & family have gotten the hint now that if you want tech support and running Windows, don't ask me, I won't be willing to help anymore. Free tech support is strictly for Linux with me. Each version of Windows that releases further enforces that I don't want to go back.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

In a way helping family has been a real help as Im going to become a Dell customer support rep down the road, so I need all the practice I can get to speed up my responses. Its what Im going to do once I retire, assuming things go ok.
Site Moderator