Spending more time with Windows than expected

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Re: Spending more time with Windows than expected

Post by crosscourt »

I hate to say it but Im impressed with how well Win10 runs on older hardware and some of these laptops go back to 2008.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

It is odd, but it seems that Linux is now the OS that struggles on older hardware unless you pick a very light weight distro. I installed MacOS X Big Sur on my wife's 2008 Macbook Pro and it runs fine.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats been my experience recently as well. Linux has had many issues running on older hardware, mostly involving newer kernels yet Win10 installs and runs very well.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yes, it's well documented that recently in an effort to combat kernel bloat in the 5.10 series they stripped out a LOT of old drivers that *MOST* people don't need anymore. Sadly, *most* people isn't all people.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

5.10 kernel works fine but 5.11 is a problem for some systems.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They need to solve the issues with updates. Updates need to install in order and cumulative updates shouldnt be installed all at once. Important updates versus minor updates should also be separate. Ive had a couple of update sessions with various pcs that have gotten a bit crazy because they simply dont prioritize some updates before others to cause less issues.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I got my Microsoft Surface a couple months back. I had got it as a replacement for my broken six year old Android Tablet. At first I was really tripped up by being on Windows, then one day I remembered that specifically had bought it at as a tablet replacement. Windows is not a great tablet OS at least from the standpoint of being a nice tablet UI. A nice aspect to using a tablet though, much like using a phone I suppose is that you never really need to deal with the OS itself. I use it for reading books, reading the news, taking pictures, a bit of web surfing and drawing and writing with the stylus.

The Surface has an SD card slot and I use it for storage. The card is easy to eject and take off the pictures and put new reading material on the device. So overall I am spend a good deal of time on a device running Windows. I have switched to using the Raspberry Pi with the Trinity DE for desktop sorts of things. My wife makes smaller colored drawings as a hobby and this afternoon I scanned several into images on the computer, made them into Mother's Day cards and printed them. Kooka, Kview, Digikam, Karbon, Chalk, and Kword, are not the best desktop publishing suite, but they did a very nice job on this simple project.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

A lot of Linux users wont touch Windows but many times a specific piece of hardware draws them in or as in my case you end up being a support system for someone. For the most part I end up not dealing with the Win10 that much and just enjoy whatever Im doing.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Durijng the pandemic I had nothing but people asking me about Linux and installs but thats changed recently. Now its all Windows requests and honestly I dont get it.
Site Moderator