The big beast is gone...

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
tlmiller

The big beast is gone...

Post by tlmiller »

So had my Razer up on Craigslist to trade, and it is now gone!! Got a Lenovo Thinkpad T495. Kept one of my 16GB Dimm's to bring it up to 32GB (16GB soldered), kept my 1TB NVMe. He kept his 256GB NVMe. Ryzen 7 3700u, 32GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe, 1080P 14", Intel AX200. While I could have gotten some cash out of him, I just traded straight up to be rid of the Razer.
crosscourt

Re: The big beast is gone...

Post by crosscourt »

Gees, that was quick. Let me know what the Lenovo is like once youve played with it. Youll have two Lenovos here down the road.
Im still toying with buying one used but still happy with my plethora of Dells.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Realistically the T495 should be a LOT like the A485 was at the end (after they fixed all the BIOS issues), except only 1 battery. There isn't a GREAT deal of difference in the performance from the 2000 series APU's to the 3000 series APU's. Right now it's setting on my kitchen table waiting for me to get around to putting in the SSD and ram. I'm actually in work this week (well, except Friday), so I may or may not get around to it before the weekend.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Physically at work? Hope you can be safe in a busy indoor business environment.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, we're doing limited return to office. We've got 2 groups, 1 week group A, the next week group B. Office still 100% closed on Fridays regardless. There's 6 of us in the office for Group B (well, 6 signed up, yesterday only 3 of us actually came in), and Group A has 14. Exceedingly limited numbers RIGHT NOW.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Positivity rate in your state is pretty high so I hope they realize there could be issues.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Due to working in the health sector, we actually have epidemiologists and doctors on staff, so yeah, they're monitoring and if they start to see things trending up, they're going to re-close the office. But while things are still trending in the correct direction (which as of Friday they still were at least) we'll be doing the limited RTW (and also purely on a voluntary basis at this point, noone is required (well, noone but me and my boss)).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I wish I had that choice as I have to report for work, or use up all my vacation and sick leave to furlough. It hasnt been fun as my job brings me into contact with people way too much.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I've been really impressed in the 4 years I've been here with how they really do look out for the employees. They really do treat everyone like humans, not like a piece of machinery to be replaced if it goes bad.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So today was a really slow day so I ended up leaving early. Got the hardware updated on the T495, and Debian installed. The hardware is EXTREMELY similar to the A485 really. It's not insanely small. It's small, mind you, but quite a bit larger than the Latitude 7400. A LITTLE larger than the Latitude 7490, although VERY minor amount. The keyboard, definitely, is still AMAZING. The touchpad is...meh. The screen is actually better than I was expecting. it's the low end 250 nit 1080P LCD. But it actually isn't bad looking at all (when at full brightness). It's fast though. I know the Ryzen Pro 7 3700u is pretty unamazing on the CPU front, easily losing to early 8th gen (Kaby Refresh, not the later Whiskey Lakes that are more the same timeframe as this chip) i5, but it's more than fast enough so far.