24hr of Daytona

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

24hr of Daytona

Post by crosscourt »

Im a racing fan with F1,Indy,Rally and Endurance racing my favorites. Watching the past couple of hours of Daytona 24hr where the Ford GTs have been dominating in the GTLM.

If youre in the states you can see it on FS1.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: 24hr of Daytona

Post by tlmiller »

I'm a bit bumbed the GT's have gotten past the Vette. I own both ford & chevy, and LOVE the ford GT, but in racing, my heart belongs to the Corvette (even more than the Ferrari that runs in that class as well).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Corvette's have been very successful and theres always Sebring and LeMans. Penske had a lot of issues and the Cadillac based prototype limped in to win the event.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm not really a fan of the DPi/LMP2 class(es). they look NOTHING like road cars, so despite my love for F1 (which also look nothing like road cars), I don't like them. So congrats to Cadillac, but "meh".

Obviously, in GTLM I think the GT's are by far the sexiest cars (I hate the C7 tailights and will never own a C7), but I still prefer the Vettes to win due to my being able to afford a Corvette, but being about $100,000/yr salary away from being able to even CONSIDER owning a USED Ford GT.

In GTD big congrats to Lamborghini, despite how incredibly successful the cars are in dealerships, calendars, posters, the company overall has not had the greatest success in racing. Their F1 history is essentially a tale of utter failure, and even their Gt racing has been spotty, at best. So while I don't particularly like the company, it's a "feel good" win for them.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Felt sorry for the Acura driver as he got hit by a proto and probably would have won his class over the Lamborghini.

Agree the Ford GT is a great looking car. I dont care that protos dont look like regular cars as their performance and design still attract me as does F1.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

IMO, because proto's would get their doors blown off by F1 cars, I can't stand the things. Not beautiful like road cars, not anywhere near as fast as F1, they're just the ugly stepchild of racing and need to go away.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Top Gear has a great article on that topic but not going to get into the F1 vs LMP1 discussion ive had far too many times. The two cars have advantages and disadvantages, different designs given their purpose and depending on the course and use the results would vary.

LMP1 are test beds and honestly I dont like the recent designs as much as some in the past but I have no issues with their appearance.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Indy guys did great with Dixon and Briscoe on the winning side with the Fort GT team
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Looks like Fernando Alonso will be racing in all the endurance races even though he still has his commitment to McLaren in F1.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, he's got a VERY busy season coming up. 27 races if I recall correctly.