Just call me Britney, cause ooops, I did it again...

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
tlmiller

Re: Just call me Britney, cause ooops, I did it again...

Post by tlmiller »

I've done a few thousand as well during my time with Verizon...I'm amazed you haven't had issues. At MINIMUM once a month (on average across all hte years) I had tickets opoened with UPS due to issues.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Laptop has arrived. All hardware checks out working. Swapped out to the hardware I wanted. BIOS updated (shipped w/ Bios 1.0.0, 2.4.4 is current, just a BIT dated BIOS version...). Installing Neon.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Hmmmm, Neon is refusing to regularly see the Wifi...
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Installed Debian, figured out that it has issues with Firmware. Not sure why...another laptop running Debian has the same card same versions and no issues. Installed the 9260AC from the Thinkpad and it works with that no issues, put the AX200 that was in here into the Thinkpad and it works without issue. So there must be something about this laptop that doesn't like the AX200 card...
Going to reinstall Neon with the 9260AC.

Just for s's and giggles, I did try Arch as well, same issue as Debian and Neon. So definitely thinking this is probably a firmware thing with this model, given this AX200 was working in the prior laptop, and is working in it's current laptop.

edit: And with the 9260AC Neon is installed and working without issues.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Ok, so got most everything set up. Still haven't set up wallpapers and color schemes, but everything else is set up. So far nice laptop. It's a nice, dark blue. Quite attractive. While not XPS level small, or even as small as the Latitude 7400, it's BARELY larger than the 7375 which was a 13.3" screen while this is a 14". So it's got MUCH smaller bezels around the LCD than a lot of the older models. Seems to run nice now that I updated the BIOS. Wow, the shipping BIOS was rough. Took like 25 seconds to POST before it would even START getting to the bootloader. That was some poor quality firmware. The newer 2.4.4 far more like what you'd expect from a modern computer.
I do wish the AX200 worked in here. Or that there was an alternative to Intel for AX cards (the killer 1650 is just an AX200 with different firmware on it). But I'll live with only Wifi5/AC.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

This laptop is Thunderbolt3!!
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I think I be done...

Have found 1 irritating thing about this laptop. Overall it's quite quiet, but every few seconds, the fan spins up for JUST under a second...
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The hardware probe isn't very good with this laptop, shows "hardware probe of Latitude 3379"
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So, not sure I'm going to keep KDE Neon on here. Not 100% reliable on booting. I"m guessing it's probably firmware failures, but it doesn't always boot tot he desktop. Gets the Plasma 5.18.4 loading screen showing the bootloader took over from grub, then just stops. Not every time. But sometimes. Haven't actually looked into it to see for sure. But given Ubuntu isn't the greatest (in my experience) with hardware compatibility of newer hardware than the release, I may switch this machine to something other than Neon to see if this is endemic to the device (such as the AX200 incompatibility) or if it's just Neon. Although to be fair, I may not...it would require my actually reinstalling it again.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

:(

It's official, I've had to open a case for my RAM that I ordered. UPS has lost it...

Got a Latitude 7400 now setting on my kitchen table with a brand new gorgeous ultra-high performance SX8200 Pro SSD and 0GB ram. Had sold the 8GB that came in the 5485 in anticipation of UPS actually delivering the ram, but no such luck. Has shown that it's in facility in Mesa since Thurdsay, with no updates since then or ever getting on a truck for delivery.