Just call me Britney, cause ooops, I did it again...

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
tlmiller

Just call me Britney, cause ooops, I did it again...

Post by tlmiller »

So with the quarantining I've actually saved (already) like $150 in gas (<20 mpg w/ required 91+ octane adds up quick). So since I've been saving such amounts of gas, I decided to go ahead and spend some of it.

So the Inspiron 5485 was a VERY good price for a 3500u (zen+ quad core 8 thread) w/ 1080P 14" 2-in-1 in like new condition (AND IT's BLUE!!!). So went ahead and added a new, larger SSD (cheapest GOOD NMVe I could find, basically the same as the SX8200 (not pro)) and 32 GB ram to upgrade to (after verifying it has 2 actual slots not soldered). Spent FAR less than I would expect given the specs. When it comes in I'll swap the wifi card with the Inspiron 7375 (AX200) to upgrade the 5485 to AX and put the AC card back in the 7375, then sell off the 7375. I think I should be able to get like $280-$320, so that'll be a good portion of the new laptops price.

Did I mention it's BLUE?? No silver, no black. BLUE!! Been so long since I had a colorful laptop. Definitely the part that I'm most excited about.
crosscourt

Re: Just call me Britney, cause ooops, I did it again...

Post by crosscourt »

The Dell notebook looks really nice and yes, I like the blue color. You just cant help yourself can you....LOL!!!
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I think the last colored laptop I had was an older Dell laptop and it was red. I also like the appearance of my Acer Chromebook 14.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I had the HP that was super cheap super junk that was blue. I don't remember the name exactly. But they were 13", 1366x768, Celeron N2840 w/ 4 GB ram & 32GB eMMC. Basically a Chromebook but with Windows. Total junk (although GREAT keyboard). I also did have (several) HP Chromebook 14's that were blue & white. All...well, essentially identical specs to the Windows machine. But 14" instead of 13", and the Chromebooks were actually 1080P. So the Chromebooks were actually better than the Windows machine. But the blue was much lighter. Still beautiful laptop, reason I had like 3 or 4 of them over the years. Had linux on every one too...

Before that I think it goes all the way back to the FIRST Dell STUDIO laptop. Had a yellow one. Man that was sexy. Wish they still made laptops in bright yellow. And orange. I've considered getting my 7490 wrapped. It would look SOOOOOOOOOOO hot in yellow.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Really like the Ryzen cpus and for the first time in years Im probably not going back to Intel. Slowly Ill get rid of my older hardware and eventually pick up a Ryzen laptop. Maybe Ill wait till you get bored and buy the Dell Ryzen from you, wink/wink.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I always post links to what I sell. I'll say that it's been a great laptop. It has some issues wtih linux (Dell never did release a BIOS to fix their hardware enumeration), however if you're willing to deal with having to enter those kernel parameters on the live boot to get it installed, then the first installed boot before adding them to the kernel line, it's a fantastic laptop. Actually gets fairly decent battery life (mind you, not GREAT), and while it's far inferior to the 8th generation Intel stuff that have 4 cores, it steamrolls anything prior with only dual cores. And the graphics absolutely DEVASTATES the Intel IGP.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

What did you pay for it?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

When I bought the 7375? I think it was like $580, and the ram upgrade (came with 8GB) cost I think $70. I also swapped the 256GB SSD for a 1TB, although I already had it lying around the house unused. Or the new one? <$300. Even after the upgrades to 1TB NVMe and 32 GB ram w/ tax & shipping, <$600.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I meant the Dell inspiron 14 you posted above, but spotted the listing on Ebay for $338.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, that's another one, mine was cheaper. :D
Last edited by tlmiller on Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.