Corona Virus

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Re: Corona Virus

Post by crosscourt »

Two studies have shown that up to 1 in 8 people have the virus and are asymptomatic and can spread it easily. The masks should have happened well before now and in the far east it seems to have helped the spread quite a bit. If you have a mask youl be in good shape and if people want to take the chance the situation could get far worse. I wear one all the time on my property including gloves.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

Being locked down here I have quite a different perspective, I have my groceries delivered and sanitize all packaging and then dispose of any "surplus" packaging/wrapping and then store everything, I have developed almost OCD levels of hygeine but do not see any need for masks and gloves as I do not leave my property lines.

I do have confidence that our governments will get this all sorted out (eventually) and although it will likely be a long time before we establish the new normal we will continue to do all the things we did before and we will continue in our evolution.

I guess the only sure thing is that we will all be paying a lot more tax to cover what our leaders are spending in this "unprecedented time".
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im not speaking to what you do at home. If youre at work such as myself or decide to go out and shop, having masks and gloves is a necessity. My wife is also OCD such as yourself as shes locked down due to health issues. Thats why I try to be as careful as possible at work. We also have everything delivered from various services and sources.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:30 pm Im not speaking to what you do at home. If youre at work such as myself or decide to go out and shop, having masks and gloves is a necessity. My wife is also OCD such as yourself as shes locked down due to health issues. Thats why I try to be as careful as possible at work. We also have everything delivered from various services and sources.
I agree on masks. Although requiring them for people to go outside when almost noone has them in stock except at inflated prices is...not a good idea.

Gloves I'm less inclined to agree. Most people will wear gloves all day. The same pair. This is FAR FAR FAR worse than not wearing gloves and regularly washing your hands. This just spreads germs around to other places. Unless the gloves are being changed EVERY TIME YOU TOUCH SOMETHING NEW, you're actually just spreading the germs and making it more likely to get yourself or someone else sick.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use chemical style gloves and use Bleach and alcohol based cleaners to wash the gloves on a regular basis. Again you misunderstand as Im not advocating everyone should wear gloves except when in stores or other similar settings. Im working and need to protect my self on a daily basis. The level of disinfecting I have to do all day is quite extensive. In my area you cant enter a store without a mask and stores typically provide gloves and hand sanitizer. If you were in my situation you wouldnt be so fast to disagree with gloves.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I think there are many possible situations where a different level of sanitization is required so I don't think you should or shouldn't use any of them, we all have to decide based on the situation in front of us and adjust accordingly. Tbh it's one reason I am almost happy (not really happy but it is a silver lining :) ) to be locked down.

I do think that by the time I get to venture out again there will be a lot of changes to how we all live and work, I get updates about how things are working in supermarkets here such as floor markings to ensure you keep 6ft (ish) apart, gloves and hand sanitizer and a wipe for the trolley are all supplied at my nearest store, and I think these measures will be here for a good while yet. I did hear something about masks on a local news channel (Can't remember source) but I think the politician talking was saying there will not be a legal requirement to wear face masks, but like many things it might change later.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

If you're caught out here without a mask after Sunday,you'll be cited or fined for not wearing one. Now, after working with law enforcement for years, I have a problem with someone wearing a mask around me,since, I've always known someone wearing one,was up to no good. So,this is a change for me. Also, I have 3 masks. A tear gas/ germ warfare mask,from Army Surplus,a 3M respirator mask for painting,and a N95 for this B.S.
I think I'll wear the germ warfare mask,just to scare and piss people off....😈😆
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Everything we do is based on CDC and OSHA work recommendations in this situation. We dont get to choose how we approach it as my company mandates best practices. That said Im working with my hands and thus wearing gloves protects my hands from cuts and scrapes that could allow the virus to enter thus compromising my health. Virus isnt the only thing you need to protect yourself from as mold, chemicals, sewage,bacteria and parasites are also an issue at times. I do building inspections in some pretty rough areas and outside the buildings with E-coli and Staph infections can be had very easily.
Gloves that can be cleaned easily are your friend.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

CaptNoize wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:42 pmI think I'll wear the germ warfare mask,just to scare and piss people off....😈😆
That would be my choice too! :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ill give you some hope. The Gilead treatment that uses Remdesivir an anti-viral that was successful with SARS and Ebola is now apparently working against Covid19. In a Chicago study of severely ill patients out of 113 all but 2 recovered and left the hospital after 6 days. The drug almost immediately breaks the fever and improves respiratory issues. The two patients that didnt improve died due to underlying conditions not related to the
Covid19 infection. Gilead has donated over 1.5 million doses to try and use in studies which is enough for a minimum of 140,000 severely ill patients.
Being able to get people off ventilators and allow them to recover naturally will reduce other damage to the body. Presently 2400 patients are in studies here in the US so lets see where this goes. The vaccine is a way off and wont help those who are already ill, so this could be a real weapon to solve opening up the economy, but testing still must be improved.
Site Moderator