Got a Raise....Big Deal

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

Got a Raise....Big Deal

Post by CaptNoize »

So...I've been busting my ass at this job I got mid September. The boss tells me last week,that he likes my work that I've been doing so much,that he's given me a Raise already...😕 Now being the total cynic that I am,and also knowing that you don't get something for nothing, I told him I didn't expect it so soon, and really wasn't necessary. Plus,having the expectations I have,and not getting them,would only piss me off. But, I got my pay today,and yep,there it was... my measly .50 an hour raise. Wow..! I can go get almost 2 Whopper meal deals( with coupons)a week,...you and have some change left over get a pack of gum...ARE YOU F*#KING KIDDING ME...!!! 😤😤😠😠😠😠😡 After the 22% taxes I have to pay here in this wonderful state of Pa. I won't even end up with enough to buy cat food. What a way to start my weekend off.... :evil:
Last edited by CaptNoize on Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crosscourt

Re: Got a Raise....Big Deal

Post by crosscourt »

.50 over the whole year though adds up. I got a raise this year that increased my hourly by just $1 but over the year that amounts to $2000 before
taxes. I also get a bonus at the end of the year but I got two this year because I was performing above expectationswhich killed me as my prior evaluation wasnt anything special. 22% taxes is crazy, as we pay only 6% here in Virginia.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, it's not much, but it does add up over time. While it won't make or break someone, it's better than nothing.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I've quit jobs over this kinda b.s. If this is all the more my loyalty and hard work is worth, I'll be rethinking my entire situation. This is typical what employers do to us in this millennium.
BTW...the only thing that matters is your take home pay. As far as the taxes you pay, I would NEVER give my "Uncle" an interest free loan,to waste on the like of which their doing now,and chances are,I'll be DEAD long before I 'll see any return on S.S.... And paying state taxes here,is like pissing money down the drain,since these thieves here in Pa. miss manage it so poorly here,they are always being investigated. These assclowns here have refined the art of thievery perfectly.😠😠😠😤😤😮😮
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I took my job for the same reason you did, it was close to home thus no extra expenses and I go home fo lunch. If I commuted it would cost me $5000-7000 a year for another car,gas,insurance and food. Even though my pay here is pretty good now Ive been here over 10 years so it wasnt good in the beginning. Overall its been a good trade off that came during a time when the economy was in the tank. If another better paying job shows up Im out but that hasnt happened yet and for now its a good stable situation. It sure beats working for the post office doesnt it? 10 years of employment is all you need for SS but more than likely you and I will be working for quite some time but it pays the bills and Im stable and Im happy for having that to support my family.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

My health is tanking,and unless you're near death,here,you're not gonna get disability. There's a lot of stress with my job,but I'm sorta used to it. My arthritis is so severe in my knees now,I limp all day,sometimes. It now is extending into my spine and hips. I took this job to try to support myself and keep my home,but with all the extra taxes and added expenses,it hardly seems worth it. I've paid into SS for way over 10 years,but even when I can retire at 65(if I last that long) I won't be getting much. Hopefully,my annuities will help me to survive then. What a crock of nonsense.....
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Can't argue with any of that. I think those my age were the first generation to start realizing that we had to take precautions for retirement. Pensions were rare to see in most companies when we were getting to the age that we could get REAL jobs (and are basically nonexistent now), and the govt. had been tearing away at SS for years at that point so we realized we wouldn't get a dime from it despite paying into it.

I haven't done as well as I'd like at saving for my retirement, but I have a bunch of 401K's, at least 1 has a decent amount of money (I'd like to consolidate all into 1, but it's just such a PITA to do the paperwork and track them all down), another is definitely going up at a nice rate (since that's the one I"m currently still contributing to), so hopefully that will last me through my retirement, although in the same boat as you, IF I make it to retirement.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Id still look into disability through SSA as many people in my area with issues like yours who cant work are getting it. That also opens up the ability to get vouchers to help with housing costs, real estate taxes can be reduced or dropped entirely and you can get credits towards your statye taxes. Virginia gives each person 65 and older a $12000 tax credit up front so that really helps. You may also qualify for Medicaid once your disabled status comes through.

SS with my wife and I is a pretty nice chunk of cash to be honest and she also had a pension and thats kicked in as well so we will be fine but wont be living the luxury life.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

if you apply for SSA here,these SOBs tie it up in court for a minimum of 2 years,and you HAVE to get a lawyer,otherwise your spinning your wheels,and even then,there's no guarantee you'll get it. AND,unless it's a "slam dunk" most lawyers won't take the case. Trust me, I know this silliness well. Most just give up on it,unless they're scammers,or totally on their deathbed. Then the state just drags it out,till you die. These grave robbing ghouls have it all figured out. Take "Inheritance Tax" here. The second a family member dies here, the good ole state wants their cut of the " blood money",to the tune of 13%. I can't WAIT to leave this stinking,corrupt commonwealth.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its still worth trying and you can appeal youre case directly to SSA in WashDC if things get too out of sorts. Many people in my community have been down that road with 2 year waits and lawyers but all got their disability. Maybe leaving is your best course of action.
Site Moderator