Things have been almost boring.

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
dai_trying

Re: Things have been almost boring.

Post by dai_trying »

I have just upgraded a laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with no issues, so it definitely is possible, and it automatically assigns a digital license so I can re-install direct from a Windows 10 usb in the future.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just tried it today with one of my own systems and it didnt work. Have tried it with a number of other systems with no success so have no idea why it works for you. ZDNet and howtogeek.com both reported that it was possible yet many people with valid installs and activations cant get it to work. In my case I have no desire to use Win10 and would rather stick with Win7 for the occasional need. I no longer run Windows for everyday use.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I have nothing that wasn't licensed for Windows 10 already anymore, so can't test. Even at work, the only non-Win10 system we have is a VM.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its no big deal as most people are so fed up with Win10 they really dont want it or want to go back to it. Recent update issues have been really stupid so all the more reason to avoid it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

At least it SEEMS Microsoft is beginning to learn. The 1910 update is SUPER small, just a few minor patches and no massive release that will break everything AGAIN.

As far as people avoiding it, I don't blame them, but unless they move to linux (which for many will be even harder), there's not much other choice if they want to go online as Windows 7 will RAPIDLY become a major vulnerability.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My guess is Microsoft will have no choice but to offer some security updates for Win7 outside of their program given the usage percentage and issues it would cause overall. XP and Vista both had updates offered for quite some time. I think most people could stay with Win7 at least a year as long as security software is continued to be offered for it, which should be the case in the short term. I know people still running XP and Vista.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

As of last month MS had still said the only way you're getting patches is to pay for them. Absolutely no extensions for Win7.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Theyve said things like that before in very threatening tones except this time they are trying to charge for the updates. Given the huge number of people/businesses who use Win7, do you really think they will drop security patches cold turkey? Their track record says otherwise.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

They stopped patches for Vista when they said, no extensions. XP is actually the only OS they extended support for, every other OS in their history they ended support when they said they would. So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. The Windows group isn't the money makers for MS they once were, they don't have the size of the team they once did, so they're eager to drop 7 and stop wasting any resources supporting it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Win2k got patches after they said they would stop and so did Vista(ran it for awhile over the stop date(there werent many), but XP got a lot more support.
Site Moderator