Had a reinstall party...

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Re: Had a reinstall party...

Post by crosscourt »

Going to give Mint Cinnamon another try on the new SSD.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mint was great and ended up doing two installs. Still have more installs to do on other devices.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

SolydK was my install last night and that didnt go well as its design, and hardware support werent to my liking at all.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Actually tried ROSA on my Dell v130 with the SSD and its running very well. More updates came thru but still not quite there. Resouce usage though is only 379mbs at GUI so its a good match.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Opened up my smaller older 2.5 HDs and destroyed them as I wont be keeping them after purchasing a decent number of SSD drives. Tlmiller was right, as once you try one you cant go back to standard drives.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I shall be re-purposing mine, I couldn't waste them like that even if they do send me to sleep when I use them :D
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I ended up wiping all mine securely and giving them away eventually. Even took a couple into work to use to replace hard drive failures on just out of warranty machines at work. But that was, of course, a couple years ago that I finished upgrading to all SSD's.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Tried out Mint today on the Chuwi. It has definitely gotten better, but still is horrible in 2 ways. The menu is still completely disgusting to look at, and requires all kinds of scrolling since it's artificially constrained in size. And 2, hidpi scaling is still missing any usability. It only supports off (everything FAR too small to realistcally use) or 2x scaling (everything FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR TOO LARGE and utter unusable). Needs more options.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Actually you can make the menu bigger as the default is 300 and I run mine at 420. After using Mate and XFCE this menu doesnt bother that much.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, but I don't want the whole box larger, I just want the menu to be able to not be constrained by the box. I don't like these menu in a box desktops. The last good Windows menu was Windows 2000 ("classic" desktop mode notwithstanding). KDE application menu is still around and is great. But most other menu's vary from "bleh" to "dear god who though this was a good idea, this is AWFUL" (gnome3, if you didn't guess). They should have alternatives to their full screen menus with 50 different sections and scrolling everywhere like how KDE does. I like a full DE, but I don't want some ugly multi-sectioned menu. Just, you know, a menu that's usable and unless it's a REALLY huge section it doesn't require scrolling.