Had a reinstall party...

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
tlmiller

Had a reinstall party...

Post by tlmiller »

So, sent my 5289 to someone who needed it more than I (although did remove the AX wireless card and put back the 8265). So decided to swap around my OS's. Remove ArcoLinux from the 7490 and replaced it with Anarchy. Removed KDE Neon from the 7375 and replaced it with Void. Removed Void from the 3379 and replaced it with KDE Neon.

Have all 3 reinstalled at this point. The Void <-> KDE Neon was the only one I did for a reason. The AX cards require kernel 5.1, not 5.0, so KDE Neon will not work with it yet. Rather than putting the AX card in a lesser laptop, I just replaced the OS with one that has a 5.2 kernel and works with it. Next month Neon would have gotten a kernel that would work with it (19.10 release hwe kernel), but wasn't in the mood to wait (like I ever am). Although with Anarchy again functioning, much happier. That to this day is the best Arch derivative I've ever used. In fact, it's the only Arch derivative I've ever liked.
crosscourt

Re: Had a reinstall party...

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been reinstalling my distros to the new SSD drives so far as I decided to move all my hardware to SSDs. Outside of the invalid partition table error message with Debian 10 distros(other distros are fine) its gone great and even the older SSDs are lightning fast. Neon and Zorin are definitely my ywo favorite distros because they support my edock.laptop so well.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Void is a LOT quicker on this 7375 than it was on the 3379. Had none of the issues with it hanging during boot (well, once I added the kernel parameters for it to boot AT ALL). Everything is set up and working at this point on it. Even have my FreeOffice and OnlyOffice running (although I haven't registered the icons for FreeOffice as I'm still hoping to figure this out in the package installer). I still have some configuration on the 3379 to finish, but the 7490 and 7375 are completely finished.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got Only Office running on Zorin, very nice.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm finding I want OnlyOffice on most of my machines. While it lacks some of the advanced features, I just prefer it to the others. And the more I use all 3, the less I like LibreOffice.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here as I prefer FreeOffice and OnlyOffice.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

2 of the SSD drives showed up and Im typing on my new install of Q4OS KDE 3.8 or should I say Debian 10. Excellent install, runs great and is one of the nicest setups for KDE. Good choice of apps and system features, clean, simple and very fast with the SSD. This distro boots in an average of 7 seconds.
Moving on to the second drive but havent decided which distro Ill install, but more than likely Neon.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

PCLinuxOS and Mageia both dont work so ended up installing Neptune OS 6 which is very nice and has some really beautiful Neptune wallpapers. ROSA is the only RPM that installs and works but its woefully out of date.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed Zorin on the new Adata SU630.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

As soon as the last drives come in Im going to install Q4OS KDE,Neptune and Neon onto them for my other laptops.
Site Moderator