The weather has been crazy

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

The weather has been crazy

Post by crosscourt »

I live near wash DC and we had the coldest week in years followed by 60F temps and now we are back in the deep freeze. it never gets this cold here. is it global warming, ouch!
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: The weather has been crazy

Post by tlmiller »

I miss living back there. I grew up in Carroll County, MD, not far from Frederick County, so as you were getting close to the Appalachians. I enjoyed getting 4 seasons. Here in AZ, there's really 2 seasons, summer and spring. It's nice to be able to go out in the middle of "winter" and spend all day outdoors in mid 70-s temperatures, but I miss the cold, and I miss snow.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I like the cold weather and I actually live south of Wash DC in Virginia. Didnt realize you were from this area. Ive been here since 1967 but originally Im from NYC.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

yeah, I grew up there, went to OK for the army, then went to MI for work for a while, and then moved out to AZ for work. With returning to MD between each for a few years. I also have worked down in Newport News for a while in 2016, which is actually what led to my leaving Verizon.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You should look at the Dulles tech corridor as we have a huge number of tech jobs in the area. Skiing and tech, sounds good doesnt it? :)
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It does, but at this point, because of the no DST in Arizona, even with ALL the negatives, that one positive trumps them all. I hate DST that much. Until more states drop DST, I'll never leave Arizona unless it's a MASSIVE paycheck.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They are paying very well in my area and its attracting a lot of people because of it. Didnt realize you hated DST that much as I hate standard time and would like to stay in DST all the time if I could.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It's funny because up until this year I was looking for a job. However, my company actually gave me a promotion with a ~$10,000/yr raise to start the year, so I'm no longer underpaid as a linux admin, and as a Windows admin, I'd be rather overpaid for the going rate in the area. So I actually haven't even really been looking, as my job honestly is AWESOME. I do a little of everything, working for a smallish (about 115 person) software development company, and I've honestly learned more (mostly from necessity due to being the entire IT department for 3 months) in 1.5 years at this company than I did in the last 10/12 years at Verizon.

Why does the tilde make a dash on these forums?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ill mention the tilde issue to Dai as its more than likely a bug.

Glad you like your job as thats so important these days.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Right now I'm actually VPN'd into my work machine getting ready for a migration from netapp to Nutanix AFS. Have 6 robocopies running copying the files, tomorrow I work on rights, Thursday I run robocopy again to make sure everything is 100%, and Friday we de-rack and dispose of the Netapp. So I don't have a choice in finishing, I've already scheduled the asset disposal team to come Friday!! :D