Tough Job Market

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

Tough Job Market

Post by CaptNoize »

I started a new thread here,since we got wrapped up in this discussion, over in distros( Sorry CC..!) Western Pa. has been a mess here since "Reaganomics" hit in the 1980's,..the "trickle down theory" didn't work here..the ONLY thing that"trickles" down is raw sewage...and ALOT of us here have been eating sh*t for 30 years...that is, the ones of us who stayed here,and tried to make a "go" of it. Many times,in the last several years, I've felt like Michael Douglas in "Falling Down"... But I try to stay calm,and just push on...eaking out a modest living here. At least I have no debt...everything is paid for. Just utilities, and taxes.....Ugh..!!! :x :x :x :x :evil: :x :x
tlmiller

Re: Tough Job Market

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, trickle down never worked ANYWHERE. Even the ultra-conservatives have now given up trying to claim it works.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thanks for the new thread. Jobs for older workers in my area arent a problem and jobs in general are easy to come by. Most jobs tend to be in the $12-$20 range but there are many other jobs well above that.

With your talents Capt, I would think the West Coast like Los Angeles would be a good choice.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I had just moved to Van Nuts,Calif. in 95,and started working at JBL. I was there 3 months,and my father had a heart attack. Since I was an only child, Mom really needed me here to care for him,since he also had COPD. What could I do...? I couldn't leave her here alone to try to care for Dad by herself. I moved back here,thinking I would return to Calif. when Dad passed away. However, Dad survived, and with me being his caregiver,he lasted till 98. So, I went from being a touring sound engineer,and working for JBL....to being a caregiver.
I don't regret a minute of it,since that's what I was put here for. That's the least I could do,for all they did for me. I took care of Mom till 2010,till her death.. I was going to return to Calif. but all my connections there,as well as JBL(the part I worked at) were gone. The Sound Co. that I worked for, has only 2 accounts...Wheel of Fortune,and Jeopardy... They don't do band sound anymore. The market had changed so much, I missed out. Hard Rock and Heavy Metal gave way to Brittany Spears,Justin Beeper,and the Jonas Bros. I had no desire to work with any of that fake B.S. :x :x :roll:
I wish I had HR people like TL and CC,who see a person's worth,and value,...for their experience and talent,than their age. :(
BTW...do you know what a cheap studio apartment costs in L.A. now...??? :roll: :x
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Tough choice, make less money but stay where you are as you have costs under control or make more and have to spend more to live elsewhere.
In my area its tough with the cost of living but you find ways to pay for housing, etc.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

CaptNoize wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:13 pm I had just moved to Van Nuts,Calif. in 95,and started working at JBL. I was there 3 months,and my father had a heart attack. Since I was an only child, Mom really needed me here to care for him,since he also had COPD. What could I do...? I couldn't leave her here alone to try to care for Dad by herself. I moved back here,thinking I would return to Calif. when Dad passed away. However, Dad survived, and with me being his caregiver,he lasted till 98. So, I went from being a touring sound engineer,and working for JBL....to being a caregiver.
I don't regret a minute of it,since that's what I was put here for. That's the least I could do,for all they did for me. I took care of Mom till 2010,till her death.. I was going to return to Calif. but all my connections there,as well as JBL(the part I worked at) were gone. The Sound Co. that I worked for, has only 2 accounts...Wheel of Fortune,and Jeopardy... They don't do band sound anymore. The market had changed so much, I missed out. Hard Rock and Heavy Metal gave way to Brittany Spears,Justin Beeper,and the Jonas Bros. I had no desire to work with any of that fake B.S. :x :x :roll:
I wish I had HR people like TL and CC,who see a person's worth,and value,...for their experience and talent,than their age. :(
BTW...do you know what a cheap studio apartment costs in L.A. now...??? :roll: :x
Doubleish (actually a bit OVER double) what I pay for a 2 bedroom in Mesa!! Yeah, prices in LA are insane. I've had job calls for the area, offering $90K. I can't live on 90K in LA!!! That's like borderline poverty level for that area!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just as in my area youll have to live well outside of many metro areas to afford to live there. Im 20 miles south of Wash DC and even here its not cheap but at least I can afford a 2 bedroom and den condo. Texas in particular the Austin area has a lot of good jobs but the cost of living isnt too bad. My nephew lived there till just recently.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm actually lucky enough to be in what's considered one of the most livable (financially) areas.
Austin is indeed another.
Depending on what you do (tech not so much), I've actually read Idaho is a great area to live in for being able to afford things.
Surprising to me, MOST of the Michican area is getting better from what I've read. For tech, actually Detroit is supposed to be a very rapidly rising area (having lived in Michican, I take this with a grain of salt, as it was overall a HORRIBLE area when I was there).
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Well, I own a home here,and at this point in my life, I'm not willing to risk throwing it all away on a chance that I "might" get a decent job.. This area has a lot of downsides,but I got to look at the facts. Many years ago, I should a went of Las Vegas, or Branson,Mo. With my background, I would have been in demand. But not anymore,my friends that live in those 2 cities,said the "bottom" has fallen out of the entertainment industry there. It's a crap shoot in my business... Pittsburgh is going to be doing more movies...so,something may come of that. We are the "Mecca" of medicine, but that's not my forte'... I had a offer for a few jobs, we'll see if they come thru......there's always pro wrestling.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Not being in debt has huge advantages and if you can find work locally, you can still get by with less. In my case theres no guarantee when I retire that Ill be able to stay here.
Site Moderator