A Memorial Day Thought

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

A Memorial Day Thought

Post by CaptNoize »

This weekend is Memorial Day. Some,spend it having a party,drinking and laughing,since it is the beginning of the Summer. I spend it in solemn remembrance of those who served, and died for our freedom,and the way of life we so greatly enjoy. Needless to say, I'm NOT a "partier" ,nor do I drink or do drugs. I ask that all who read this,have a little respect for this weekend,and all who paid such a high price for our country.
Go out and make sure a cemetery is mowed and in order,with flags on the graves of those who served. Is that such a great task to ask for,......for those who gave so much...? :cry:
crosscourt

Re: A Memorial Day Thought

Post by crosscourt »

Back in high school when I went to be processed for the draft during the Vietnam war, I went on a bus with over 45 of my male classmates. I was about to be inducted and the draft ended but I had 90 days to get my affairs in order including informing my future wife. Even though I didnt go, over half of the people on that bus didnt come back. Every Memorial day I find that fact extremely sobering and something Ive really never dealt with very well.

My wife places flags on all the graves of my family who have served.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

My father,and Uncles,fought in WWII. In Europe,my father liberated Buchenwald, and my Uncle,went in D-day + 4,and fought till he made it to Leipzig, where he got his knee cap blown off by a Nazi machine gun nest. Both were fortunate enough to make back home,and I was raised respecting all who served in the Armed Services. It's profoundly sad that those who went with you,did not come back.
Every year,days leading up to Memorial Day Weekend, I spend much of my time getting the cemeteries ready for that Holiday.
God Bless America.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Now that Im getting close to 66 I find Memorial day a very melancholy day as well as depressing in many respects.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Tell me about it... I was diagnosed with clinical depression many years back.....I just found out this past Sat. that a very good friend of mine,who I stopped in to see after I fixed my parents graves for Memorial Day,(was told by his girlfriend,) that he died Feb.15th..!!! I hadn't even heard,or his obit wasn't published in the paper...(which I don't get) I saw him the last of January. He got a brain tumor,and died in 2 weeks...!! I'm still reeling from the shock,and grief.... He was 70. I totally understand where you're coming from.... :cry: :(