Got a Raise....Big Deal

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

Re: Got a Raise....Big Deal

Post by CaptNoize »

Seems like you may have them over the barrel, CC. You may have more leverage than you think. $16 an hour is barely a living wage. When you consider that they take healthcare out of that,and local,state and federal taxes out ,and if you're paying rent and car insurance,..you're barely,and i mean barely, surviving. Hell, I was making that in 1986...And you better hope no "disaster" befalls you. If anyone tells you different,they're utterly full of 💩!!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Even with leverage they can hire some young kid and get a much lower salary in return for no experience on the property. My boss has been in the business a long time so her salary is higher, the price you pay for experience, as people want it but dont want to pay for it. At some point people always figure it doesnt matter and get rid of you for someone cheaper even if they arent qualified.. Ive lived in this community a long time so Im also a well known neighbor so it has its saving graces but today the way things are perceived, it doesnt really seem to matter much any more. They were paying my medical but Im on Medicare now so they saved thousands of dollars but still turn around and say no raises. This is the world we live in today and its gotten nothing but worse.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I got pissed off last week because of all the arguing and complaining going on at work,from my boss,and the owner,so I decided to reactivate 2 of my online resumes. Within 1 day i got 4 replies. 1 job offer is paying 10k More than I'm making now a year,with better healthcare. The only problem is,its a 50 minute drive,one way...ugh..!
So,I have to make a decision. Because of who I am, I will make my current employer aware of my offer,and see how much they value my service. I'll let you know how this all works out. :roll:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I had some offers but they were all 40 minutes or more away and traffic is horrible in my area. Gas prices are high as well as vehicle upkeep so it can run $5000-$7000 a year to commute. Not sure what its like for you in your area but it may be worth it. After so many years Im just not up for commuting any more, particularly with the Covid situation. Hope it works out for you.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

The traffic around my immediate area isn't bad,but, where I'd be going for work TOTALLY sucks. I may have a talk with my current employer and tell him of the offer,to see if he'll make a counter offer. This will be a test,to see what he thinks of me. People pay you lip service,but actions speak louder than words. Some employers were just afraid to tell the truth,so, I like to give them a choice. This shows their true colors. When in a non union situation, these are the B.S. games you gotta play. After today however, I'm reaching my fill.( Imagine Michael Douglas in "Falling Down"). Rest assured, if this other job was 20 minutes closer,this conversation wouldn't be happening. I'd already gave my week notice. I don't even think the employers I've worked for in the past,even deserve that. That's far more consideration than they ever showed me.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Not to waste opportunities but you could wait a bit longer and see if you get any other bites on your resume. Most of my better offers came a wwek to 10 days after I put my resume out there to be seen.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

After doing the math,I decided not to pursue the job offer making more money,since the drive time would negate any benefit from a raise. However,I will be putting my employer on notice,that I'm being solicited by other employers,and I'm testing them to see if I get a raise. If not, I know I have many options. My side business has really picked up,almost to the point where I could work it full time again,and not put up with a bunch of people constantly bitching about service. Does it seem like I've had enough..?😠💀
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Glad your side business is doing better. Im hoping I can do that when I retire in regards to computer work.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I had a talk with my employer today. I showed him the email I got from the company soliciting me. He said they couldn't replace me,and it would wreck the business,but they can't afford to pay me what i was being offered,and wouldn't hold me back. So,..their fate is sealed. I told him I would stay on till something closer came along. The minute it happens... I'm gone. I also let them know that if the complaining didn't stop,no power on earth can keep me from leaving. So, we'll see how long the "calm" lasts. If it doesn't, I'm gone...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Can he pay you a bit more given you dont have to commute if youre irreplaceable.
Site Moderator