Post tutorials and tips for distros and software
crosscourt

Make Linux boot faster by disabling unnecessary services

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Make Linux boot faster by disabling unnecessary services

Post by tlmiller »

Or just run Arch, where unnecessary services aren't automatically enabled just because they're installed. :D

This is honestly the biggest reason why ARch is so much faster than most other distros. You can install every service in the known galaxy, unless after installing it you enable it, it's not going to run at boot!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The issue with that is some services are needed and novices in particularly are better off having them enabled initially. Most of the distros I use dont have many services running so i end up turning off only a few.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

That's true, but most of the people I deal with anymore are moderately experienced to experienced users. The few novices I deal with are usually friends (at least good acquaintances), and they know that if they want my help, they do it the way I say, or they go pay far more for help from someone who probably knows far less.

I find my patience for humans is less and less as my age goes higher and higher. Conversely, my patience with animals grows.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

LOL!! I work with a lot of people who arent experienced, seniors or brainwashed Windows users. I have to be patient but in return i get a linux recruit and they come to me for help with other things. Im not into it for pay but many are clients and the extra cash is great, but the non-profit work we do with seniors is the best.
Site Moderator