Vega on Debian Stretch

Post tutorials and tips for distros and software
tlmiller

Vega on Debian Stretch

Post by tlmiller »

So, here's what you need to install in order to get Vega graphics installed on Stretch.

1. Make sure you have backports enabled, everything you need will come from there.
2. Install the following:

Code: Select all

apt install -t stretch-backports llvm-6.0 firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree firmware-amd-graphics mesa-va-drivers mesa-vdpau-drivers libegl-mesa0 libegl1-mesa libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa libgles2-mesa libglx-mesa0 linux-image-amd64 
Once this is installed and you reboot, amdgpu should be properly working with Vega graphics.
tlmiller

Re: Vega on Debian Stretch

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats nice and easy.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, once you have all the information in one spot. Took me several hours to figure it out. Every thread about getting Vega working mentioned installed llvm-3.9, which is the default. But it did NOT work. So I had to do a bit of experimentation. The mesa stuff no threads I found mentioned that it needed to be updated, but no matter what I did with just the llvm-6.0, glxinfo would show amdgpu as unloaded. A couple threads mentioned that Vega won't work in older mesa versions, so I pulled a list of installed mesa packages, a list of what was in backports for mesa, and updated everything that was already installed that there were updates for. After rebooting, I was surprised to see it was working beautifully. Both the Lenovo and the Inspiron are having no issues now.