How to create a Linux bootable USB drive from Linux

Post tutorials and tips for distros and software
dai_trying

Re: How to create a Linux bootable USB drive from Linux

Post by dai_trying »

And now it's been mentioned here too ;) I did download it once and used it to write an image and everything worked, but then I re-installed OS on that machine and haven't re-installed Etcher, mainly because I haven't needed to and partially because I almost forgot about it :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Etcher and unetbootin are the two most common Ive seen and included in many distros. Q4OS devs actually mentioned unetbootin in their thread about this topic.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've never tried etcher myself. I've read about it, but never bothered trying.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You should try it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

If at some point I can remember to, I might. I'm on Arch right now and checked the dependencies, very little (as in none that I didn't already have installed). Although a pretty large program, 200 MB (according to yaourt after building from souce) just to write USB drives seems like it must be inefficient. Not like drive space is a problem on any of my systems other than the Acer (32 GB drive) and the Chromebook (16 GB) though.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im on MX Linux 17 right now but will be moving over to Mageia 6 later to do some testing.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I installed this on both Fedora machines, several Debian machines, and my Arch machine. I might download PCLOS just to test it out, and also to throw PCLOS on my Acer to test out that distro again.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Remember that one of the community distros is KDE-mini and its based on their original release so its solid at least in my use.
2017/11 so far has been solid with updates.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yup, that's the one I downloaded. Sadly can't load it because the live iso doesn't work with the touchpad and I don't have an external mouse available (I should have expected this, as Fedora acted the same, had to install with an external mouse but after installing it worked). But etcher worked exactly as it should. I did the darkstar (the mini-kde image you mentioned) and also created a USB of Mageia 6 to play with again.

I need to get new USB's...I'm out of <32 GB drives, and I hate using a 32 GB USB for a 1.5 GB live OS.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Etcher is great but I didnt notice the issue with the touchpad as I use a mouse during live and install.

Mageia 6 has been working great but the way I use my system is different from you and i run mostly desktops. I did install it on my E5410 and had no issues.
Site Moderator