Post tutorials and tips for distros and software
crosscourt

How to mount an iso file in Linux

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: How to mount an iso file in Linux

Post by tlmiller »

You'd be surprised at how often I can't remember the syntax to mount .iso's. Nowadays, I actually do use the gui method most of the time since I can't remember how to do the text method.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Did you say GUI? :)
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, one of the few things I actually will default to a gui because I simply can't remember the right loop options to mount it via cli. I can mount a cifs share with 6 options correctly off the top of my head, but can't remember the '-t iso9660' for the life of me!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

LOL!! Couldnt resist but I have that problem all the time as Im in other OS as well and CLI stuff just doesnt stick in my head very well.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I have the unique timing of having gotten into linux just as the "almost everything in cli" era was ending. So I learned how to do things in both the GUI and the CLI. I did take to doing many things in CLI simply because many of the things are just faster. IE - I've never used a gui package manager that was as easy, or as fast, as apt/yum/dnf/urpmi. Yeah, on OpenSuse, I use graphical because zypper sucks (IMO), and the same on PCLOS as apt there is such a tortuously OLD version and is missing so many features, but on MOST linux-based OS's, I simply think the cli tools are faster and more efficient for many things.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Too much to remember...I'll just use GUI... :shock:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Most GUI stuff works well Capt so not really any worries. Same as Windows in most cases for me, GUI most of the time until something goes way of track then I head to the command line and fix it. I did a lot more of that back in the day but even Mandriva and PCLinuxOS really didnt require that back in 2007.
Site Moderator