Post tutorials and tips for distros and software
crosscourt

How to reset Windows password with Linux

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
dai_trying

Re: How to reset Windows password with Linux

Post by dai_trying »

Is it really that easy to do? I might have to try it out just for the knowledge :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I havent tried it but friends of mine have and yes its that easy according to them.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've had to do this for several friends of my wifes who allow others to use their laptops.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I used to use ophcrack for Xp and Vista systems (yes quite a long time ago) although I stopped supporting Windows users so much after them and my phone was a lot quieter :lol:
I still only have very limited use for anything Windows but there is always an odd occasion that I need to do something on a M$ machine.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Outside of gaming, associated projects and supporting my wifes business use, Im on Linux a lot more now than I use to be.

I actually enjoy Windows 7 in many ways but overall its a PITA compared to Linux and I despise Win10.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I have Win10 on my newest laptop and when first installed it runs pretty well but as is usual with M$ it will start to lag more as time goes by, I have just re-installed it and it runs almost as quick as Linux distros on this machine. I don't actually use it for anything important though it's just there because it came with the laptop and if I decide to sell it at some later stage I will likely need to have Windows on it for the new owner.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Not sure if you know this, but with Windows 10,once you've been online with a genuine Win10 install, it gets registered with MS servers, so you could remove Windows entirely and if you ever put it back on, as soon as it goes online and verifies it's been activated previously with Win10, it'll reactivate itself. So if you didn't want to actually keep Windows on your device you wouldn't have to. Just keep a 8GB or larger USB around with the Win10 installer on, and if you decide to sell it, you can just reload it, put it online to reactivate, and go.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

Yes I did realise that and although I rarely use Win10 it can be handy to have laying around for those "just in case" moments when a M$ install is the only answer to a problem, I was also uncertain of how long they would keep the machine registered if it wasn't used which is another consideration.