Post tutorials and tips for distros and software
crosscourt

How to install VirtualBox in Debian 10

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: How to install VirtualBox in Debian 10

Post by tlmiller »

I much personally prefer QEMU/KVM over virtualbox. I like virt-manager better than the virtualbox gui, I think qemu/kvm has a little better performance, and it's IMO a lot easier to get things like USB passthrough working (which I've never actually gotten working in virtualbox). Networking (if you want to do something other than basic NAT) is IMO easier to set up than Virtualbox as well. And of course, there's always something to be said for native support in the repos without having to add 3rd party.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

That may be the case but VirtualBox is used by a lot of people including many tech friends of mine.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, in my experience most of the people that use virtualbox on linux do it for one of 2 reasons:

1. They're unaware of superior solutions
2. They need to be compatible with Windows users that of course don't have the option to run several of the superior solutions that are availble in linux.

Obviously some just prefer it, but the overwhelming majority of people fall into one of those first 2 groups in the many years that I've been doing it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Most of the Linux users I know that use it are aware of the other options, but yes many also use Windows.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, that was the only reason I ever still ran virtualbox, is the ability to export the images between the OS's. Now that I don't have Windows anymore, I wouldn't touch Virtualbox anymore.