LXQT

Discussion of software apps
tlmiller

LXQT

Post by tlmiller »

Anyone use this desktop regularly? I've been testing it a few days on my q4os lCentaurus aptop (Acer N3450/4 GB/32 GB/1080P 14") in place of Trinity since Debian testing currently has the most recent version. I'm actually pretty impressed. While still not as complete as Gnome or KDE, it's FAR, FAR superior to the last time I used it for any length of time. I'm actually enjoying using it thus far. There's a few things that annoy me about it (not surprisingly), and there's a few things I'd like that are missing (or I just haven't figured out how to set them up yet), but overall, I'd say this has reached a point where it's quite usable.
crosscourt

Re: LXQT

Post by crosscourt »

For me the whole point to using LXDE was to use less resources but its replacement LXQT isnt that light. I find it very annoying to use versus KDE,XFCE or Mate-Redmond. Its not really on my radar to be honest.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Odd, seems as light if not lighter than XFCE to me. Definitely a lot better looking and more usable.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I tried using LXQT quite some time back and thought it was quite good but found a few quirks that I didn't have the time to put right but I will definitely have another look soon to see how much it has progressed.
I tried SparkyLinux with LXQT and might try it again to see although they appear to follow the Debian distro pretty closely with their "stable"/"rolling"/"development" options so might just try it (LXQT) on plain Debian instead.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

LXQT uses a lot more resources than LXDE does and I would agree LXQT resource usage is around the same level as XFCE. I base resource usage on the individual distro Im using so that varies even between different distros using XFCE.

I dont care if LXDE is full featured as originally I was using it as a superlight resource DE with much older hardware that were limited in what they could run.
It hasnt been till just recently that other DE's have been able to reduce their resource footprint such as KDE.

I still use LXDE with wattOS with the few older systems I have with excellent results.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Now if only Gnome can get on the "lets make it usable on something that's a few years older" train... :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mint Mate isnt bad at all but Zorin and Gnome 3 distros are crazy high with resources. Totally agree.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

What does Zorin use? I know I've tried it before, but it's been long enough that I don't have the slightest memory.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Zorin uses Gnome Shell but it uses more than twice the memory that KDE does such as with ROSA for instance.
Site Moderator