DVD authoring program?

Discussion of software apps
JimW

DVD authoring program?

Post by JimW »

What do you think is the best/easiest program for DVD/CD authoring?
I'm currently using Devede, but don't know if there may be better programs.
dai_trying

Re: DVD authoring program?

Post by dai_trying »

I've pretty much given up using dvd/cdrom discs now as I can almost always use a usb stick, I had one occasion recently where I had to write an image to a cdrom and used k3b which did what I needed it to do but I would imagine there are better programs to use. I have heard some good things about gnome Disks but haven't used it so cannot say for sure if it will write to them ok or not...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

There are so many but I use K3b, Brasero and XFburn all good(depending on the project) but there are others, These are the most common and are available thru Synaptic. There are others that are cross platform that focus more on video authoring, dont have that info at my fingertips.

I still use DVD/CD all the time as I work with a lot of older hardware where USB is an issue, and I copy older games and movies.

USB is for my larger needs usually file backup. I also use it for live isos as its easy and compatible with any system.
Site Moderator
JimW

Post by JimW »

The thing is if you have a collection of videos on your hard drive that you want to be able to watch on your television a USB will seldom work. Having a menu of the videos you have on DVD can help if you only want to watch one.
I use K3b myself for many things, usually when I only have 1 or 2 videos to burn.
I recently downloaded the first season of Sea Hunt (old tv show for you kiddies) and found using Devede I can put 4 episodes on a DVD without too much compression, but I was wondering if there was some software that did a better job than Devede.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I know of DVD Styler, but have never personally used it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Gotcha Kim didnt realize you were doing video DVD authoring. DVD Styler is very good and there is also Bombono.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I use mythtv for a PVR system on an old laptop which is connected to the tv and available on all my other machines using the frontend only and have around 400Gb's of films and box-sets and I found it to be the easiest way I could make them available across all my devices (ok, android still has a few issues but it's getting better) and I can simply select whatever film/recording or live-tv I want to watch from anywhere, although for the live-tv you would need to purchase a tuner card if you don't already have one. It means I don't need to concern myself with any sort of transport media, so long as I have a local network (can be used without internet once installed and configured).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Devede is actually pretty good and recommended by many users and sites.
Site Moderator
JimW

Post by JimW »

@Dai
I have never used mythtv. I remember looking at it many years ago, then forgot it. Currently I have most of my videos in a shared folder. This allows me to access them from my laptop, my tablet, my cell phone, and my tv using firestick/Es file explorer. But, it may be possible I would go to my sister's house for a visit and want to take some of the videos with me! Yes, I could set up a website on my home computer and access them that way (I do have a no-ip domain that I occasionaly use), but really don't like that idea.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im the same way Jim, as I tend to do what you do in regards to movies. Ive also been copying some content off of older media which doesnt always go so well.
Site Moderator