Happy birthday KDE!

Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Happy birthday KDE!

Post by crosscourt »

22nd birthday but heres some back history, https://itsfoss.com/kde-facts-trivia/
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Happy birthday KDE!

Post by tlmiller »

I've been using it since shortly after 1.0 was released, too. Several distro's were shipping with the betas back then since there were so few choices.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I started using it at 3.0 but really got into it with 3.5.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

3.0 is when it really started getting good. 1.0 and 2.0 looked very similar, although 2.0 was FAR more polished than 1.0. 1.0 was good for it's day, I guess, but left a lot to be desired in terms of fit and finish. 2.0 made it work together much better, although still wasn't as "smooth" as the Windows of the day (although I did prefer it to Windows already). 3.0 really brought it together and got all the KDE stuff working as if it were truly a single system (well, 3.something).

I lost a lot of interest in KDE with 4.0, and the early 5.0 releases as they were just SOOOO bad for so long. Honestly, 4 wasn't really worth using until 4.6, and 5 until KDE 5.10. Prior to those, they weren't even BETA level, more alpha quality releases. By 4.8-ish and 5.12, they finally were up to .0 release quality, though. This has always been my major complaint about KDE, they stop support of the prior version they FINALLY got working, release no more security updates and declare the new, not even alpha quality to be a release.