My top 5 DE's so far this year.

Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

My top 5 DE's so far this year.

Post by crosscourt »

Made the move back to KDE so heres my list.

1.KDE
2.XFCE
3.Mate
4.LXDE
5.Cinnamon

KDE has gotten faster, less resource hungry and the design has improved. Its made real progress and for me is the main DE I prefer.

Cinnamon if they can get it more stable it would be higher on my list as i like many things in its design.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: My top 5 DE's so far this year.

Post by tlmiller »

Wow, this is honestly really hard for me to come up with 5 I like...but let me try!!

1. KDE (I'm sure that'll cause everyone to have a heart attack that reads it that it's so shocking that would be my favorite)
2. Trinity
3. Cinnamon
4. LXQT
5. IceWM (I know, technically not a desktop, but still like it more than any of the other desktops)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Eventually Ill replace LXDE with LXQT but at this point there are things about LXQT that I dont like. Ill wait and see what Lubuntu does when they switch to LXQT and see how it goes.

IceWM is fine as I use to be a big fan of Fluxbox but you dont see it much any more.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I did like fluxbox back in the 90's, but with how mature KDE & other desktops have gotten, I'm not a big fan. Even when I go with nothing but a tiling WM, fluxbox isn't my first or second choice. I'll take IceWM first (obviously, given it's in my list of top DE's), and will actually even take OpenBox over Fluxbox nowadays. It's just...simpler.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Fluxbox back when there was a Mint version was really nice but agree Id take OpenBox over Fluxbox today.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I want to see what happens with Cinnamon with Mint 19 as Im hoping it will improve enough to become my backup DE to KDE. Both I find easy to use and the interface is comfortable but KDE to me seems better.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Wow, impressive that you remembered that there WAS a fluxbox version of Mint. I had forgotten that it ever existed (never used it heavily, but did try it).
crosscourt wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:42 am I want to see what happens with Cinnamon with Mint 19 as Im hoping it will improve enough to become my backup DE to KDE. Both I find easy to use and the interface is comfortable but KDE to me seems better.
I would like Cinnamon to become good enough for me to prefer it to LXQT or Trinity. Cinnamon is very polished overall, but has a TON of little, infuriating little issues that make it just exasperating to use.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im a huge generalist whos played with hundreds of distros over the years so ive probably used everything at least once since 2006.

I ran two distro sites in that time and we handled a lot of distros. almost too many.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I guess I was a bit of a generalist in my early years. Eventually I found what worked for me given my specific desires and nowadays I'm DEFINITELY not. Most of my distro-hopping nowadays is due to hardware-hopping. If I had the money I'd be buying new hardware every month.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im always doing something for another site so I end up trying distros all the time. I run so many distros for that reason but run only 4 distros most of the time for my uses. I use to be quite the hardware geek and bought stuff all the time and upgraded/overclocked but dont have the cash any more. My interests are a bit different so newer hardware isnt that important to me. Having hardware i like thats easy to use, stable and cheap to buy is where Im at these days. Im a retro guy in many ways and Im not wild about some of the hardware out there right now and the changes made to mobos and bios.
Site Moderator