KDE 5.13 has released

Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Re: KDE 5.13 has released

Post by crosscourt »

Cant wait to see what happens when PCLOS and Rosa get the 5.13 update. These distros typically run around 410mb as they have a few more apps running like system update by default.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Any first hand experience with some of the small niche DE's like Budgie and how they do?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Budgie resource usage is about the same as XFCE,Enlightenment and LXQT in my testing. I test with stock installs making no changes at all, then use more than one memory monitor to see what happens. KDE I use Ksysguard only but most distros I use Htop so I also use Htop on KDE distros to be sure the results are as accurate as possible(some distros system monitors are really borked up, Mate for instance). Many distros want to get into piss matches about memory usage, particularly with lightweight DE's so I try to keep things as stock as possible.

That said even with Neon, if I turn on bluetooth and touchpad the difference typically is 15mb so that brings it from 308 to 323mb which is still pretty darn great.

Im guessing Rosa will drop quite a bit and end up in the mid 300s.

Gnome 3, even Ubuntu's version are still much higher in resource usage.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No issues with 5.13 with Neon so far and resource usage has dropped and speed has improved. Havent noticed any huge changes other than the fact that the memory usage recovers very quickly when you return to the desktop.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yup, so far I haven't had issues either. Runs really well, and makes me sad to list my little Chromebook for sale. But my wife might murder me if I keep it AND get the "new" Chromebook, which will also run a Neon-ized GalliumOS.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My wife has gotten use to me bying hardware, but the stuff Im buying is a lot cheaper than yours.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

5.13.1 is already out.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yup, that's the upgrade that caused me issues on Arch. Once I figured out what it didn't like though, took literally 5 seconds to fix on my second ARch installation.

Neon and PCLOS have both already updated to 5.13.1 also (I pulled out my Chromebook and updated before sending out).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Neon I reported on but noticed PCLOS updated to it and updated it today. Runs very well on PCLOS and solves a few minor issues. Love the speed difference from 5.12.5, its noticeable. System has a lighter feel, not that PCLOS felt heavy to me.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

5.13.2 released. I'm sure there's lots of fixes, but now it starts all applications on all activities. Ended up having to delete all my plasma config files to get it to work correctly again. However, it does seem to work now correctly.