Vivaldi Web Browser

Discussion of software apps
dai_trying

Vivaldi Web Browser

Post by dai_trying »

I have been trying out Vivaldi Web Browser and noticed it seems to be very responsive and also can be customised quite well. Anyone else tried it and what are your thoughts?
crosscourt

Re: Vivaldi Web Browser

Post by crosscourt »

Overall i find Vivaldi to be a bit sluggish depending on the hardware and that hasnt changed since i first tried it in late 2017. Recent issues with extensions but a fix in early May of this year supposedly fixed those issues. I dont tend to overly customize my browsers so i can get better performance actually from Opera with a similar feature set though less customization.

Given FF60 flies and Opera is also very quick, I just havent been that interested in Vivaldi. Recent version has far less bugs than the one i tried in late 2017. Last browser comparison i saw that was done by my home site showed Vivaldi was still not the best performer compared to other browsers.
A lot depends on how you customize it and what settings you choose but Im very happy with Firefox right now and Chrome/Opera as backups.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I didn't have performance issues, but I found ocnfiguring it to be very nonintuitive. While Chrome/Chromium isn't always easy to find things, everything is at least logically labeled so you can use the search feature to find whatever you were looking for. I wasn't always able to do the same with Vivaldi. At any rate, the performance wasn't BETTER than chromium, so I found no reason to continue to use it since chromium was in the repositories and auto-updated, while Vivaldi I had to manually update. For me, the annoyance of having to manually update means you really need to do something significantly better than the alternatives that are in the repos. IMO, Vivaldi did not achieve that.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

Thanks guys, I'm not sure if it will become my "go to" browser but I'm having a bit of fun testing it out although I do find it faster than FF but that could just be due to being a fresh installation. I will give it a bit more time and see how much it slows down.
I have to say having no way to directly update/upgrade is a bit of a problem especially in our current security aware times but I will see if that becomes a deal breaker later on.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Agree tlmiller, the manual update is a pain and yes its not very intuitive in regards to configuring it. For me if I want pure speed I use Opera which is still the fastest in my opinion followed by FF and Chrome/Chromium. Midori though beats them all but it has some limitations but I still use it.
Site Moderator