Latest Trinity DE release now supports Polkit

Discussion of software apps
tlmiller

Latest Trinity DE release now supports Polkit

Post by tlmiller »

Can read more about it here.

This is fairly huge for truly bringing Trinity up to modern standards. One of the major things that was still missing. Now once they get all their apps so that they're polkit aware, it'll truly act like a totally modern desktop.
wove

Re: Latest Trinity DE release now supports Polkit

Post by wove »

Thanks for that link. My RSS feed picked up the announcement yesterday and I glanced through Trinity's announcement. The link includes install instructions for Jammy Jellyfish, which I have been playing with while waiting patiently for Fedora 36 to get released. Very interesting that it notes that Quanta now supports HTML 5. I think Trinity would have a greater leap forward if Konqueror would support a more modern web.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If TDE can make a bigger jump forward Id retry it but for now Im really happy with KDE.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I installed Trinity on top of a minimal Ubuntu 22.04 install. I had hoped it would use the Ubuntu setting to activate all the hardware features of x230 hardware, but it did not and screen rotation and pen input seems to be gone from Trinity after the initial install. The instructions said to stick with the GDM window manager, perhaps it would be better to use TDM. Gives me something to experiment.

When installed on Ubuntu Trinity relies on lots of Kubuntu settings and defaults. So the install of Trinity brings in a lot of default Kubuntu apps. Perhaps not a big deal, but I did a minimal install of Ubuntu and after installing Trinity I end up with LibreOffice and a host of other stuff I really do not want, choose not to install and need to delete.

Everything in Trinity seems to work well. The only problem at the moment is that Konqueror will not connect to this site (dai-trying). It just pops up a "cannot connect to host". It connects and works with all other sites in my list of places I like to visit, so I am not sure what the problem might be. Firefox and all other Kubuntu/Ubuntu apps that were installed also work just fine.

I have always had the best experience with Trinity when I have installed it on top of a minimal Debian install and I will probably look at doing that. Digging into the Trinity desktop web sit, I found they also have a nice set of instruction for installing it on FreeBSD. That involves using the ports and compiling the packages. I have rarely ever compiled software, but the last time I did so was on FreeBSD, so am thinking that would make a nice project, and also provide good feedback on just how well my old hardware preforms.
bin

Post by bin »

Installed Debian minimal - no DE.

Set up repos (adding non-free) and installed 14.0.12 using sudo apt install tdebase-trinity tdm-trinity pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils kmix-trinity konq-plugins-trinity htop firmware-linux-nonfree tdesudo-trinity

tdesudo-trinity is needed so that you can use administrator mode in Control Centre for Login Manager and so on.
You do of course get the proper TDE Control Centre too rather than the Q4OS version.

Followed by
sudo apt --no-install-recommends install tde-style-qtcurve-trinity qtcurve-trinity gtk-qt-engine-trinity gtk3-tqt-engine-trinity

Reboot and off we go.

I was able to connect to this forum using Konqueror - but who would want to? Rendering is pretty awful....

Must admit it doesn't feel any different yet, but maybe the fixes are a bit too subtle :)
wove

Post by wove »

I installed Debian minimal no DE last night. It did not go well. I have never had trouble with a Debian install before, but last night was a total bust and I decided to give a fresh try today, but then I got sidetracked. Things I enjoy about retirement are time to make three nice hot meals everyday, an afternoon nap and no particular need to try and stay focused.

I swapped out the harddrive on my laptop and the one I put in happened to have Free BSD on it. I think BSD was installed on the X220, but it ran alright on the X230. I did a few tweaks to get it properly setup for the X230. I then updated and it now has Plasma KDE 5.24.5 installed on it and is running very well. Konqueror renders quite well on the latest KDE.

But my Trinity install project has been postponed, for a bit anyway.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I threw it on a Debian minimal VM (tdebase-trinity tdm-trinity) and it works absolutely great for me. Mind you, I'm using Firefox (from sid), Vivaldi, and Edge as my browsers, I don't attempt to use Konqueror due to it's beyond archaic code.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Is it noticeably better than the previous version used in Q4OS TDE?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:17 pm Is it noticeably better than the previous version used in Q4OS TDE?
I would say no. At this point it's hardly different. The Polkit change WILL be big for the future, but currently not all the TDE apps support using it, so while it's a big step, it's not the final solution.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ill pass and stick with KDE.
Site Moderator