Updating NextCloud

Discussion of software apps
wove

Updating NextCloud

Post by wove »

I updated my NextCloudPi to the lastest version and it did not go well. I logged into the Pi with ssh from the desktop and ran the updater. It said it completed successfully, but upon reboot the system froze after a few seconds. I left it running for an hour thinking that pehaps it just needed to move things about a bit after the update. There was no joy.

I ended up installing the last NextCloudPi from scratch. That went fairly well. I had forgot a lot of how I had it setup and I had not taken notes, so it was almost like my first try. I did get it going and kept notes on what I did this time around. My data drive was encrypted, so I had to start over with that. I did have a recent backup, so I was able to restore stuff.

Interestingly some systems, just contined on with the new Nextcloud setup as if nothing changed, while other platforms, did not and had to be reconfigured as well. I am curious why like on PopOS, it picked up like nothing had changed, while Windows saw the Nextcloud as something brand new and insisted that I redo the entire configuration.

I still have not picked up a bigger drive for my data drive, so I will have to deal with that later. Overall it went reasonably well, but what I had assumed and hoped would be an hour task, ended up absorbing a whole morning.

Gives me great respect for people that have to handle this for a living. If this had been a setup for a small office or bigger group, it would have been considered a total disaster. Just imagining a support person going from computer to computer reconfiguring most every setup. And geez if this were something like MS or Google it would impact the whole economy.