KDE 5.24 finger print and overview.

Discussion of software apps
wove

KDE 5.24 finger print and overview.

Post by wove »

I read that KDE 5.24 was out and that KDE now had fingerprint working. I was wondering if anyone has tried it out yet and if indeed it does work, I also saw that KDE had a new workspace overview. The overview I gather will eventually allow for switching via gestures, but not quiet yet.
crosscourt

Re: KDE 5.24 finger print and overview.

Post by crosscourt »

I just updated Neon over the weekend and its not running 5.24 just yet.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

No, it wouldn't be, 5.24 was released like 9 hours ago officially. The Neon servers haven't even completed moving the updates into available status.
wove

Post by wove »

I guess I need to quit reading about "what's new" at 6am.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Most likely Neon will be available to install in a few hours, Arch probably later today, or possibly not till like Thursday/Friday (it's not very consistent w/ Arch, sometimes it's same day as release, sometimes they're about 3 days behind).
wove

Post by wove »

I put Endeavour OS with the Plasma KDE on the X220. I was having a heck of a time with the touch screen working. My finger would move the cursor around, but tapping just did not work. The same was true for the touch pad. I could move the cursor and scroll, but tapping just did not want to work. i knew that tapping on both the touchpad and screen worked on the X220, because they worked very weill in BSD. I was reading up on what that problem might be and while I found no specific reference to the matter, I did read someone talking about how much better his trackpad worked when using a Wayland session.

After installing "plasma-wayland-session" I logged out and logged back in with a wayland session. My problems are just gone. Tapping, double tapping, two finger tapping is working just as it should using a wayland session. Go figure.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Still not available in Arch, but available in Neon now. My T495 just finished updating to it.

As to wayland, no shocker. That's also how you can get most accelerometers to work. I switched my Inspiron 7415 over to Wayland on Debian (5.23.5 for the foreseeable future) just so that I would have working accelerometer when I would put it on it's side, or flip into tent mode. KDE team stopped developing improvements in features for X11 well over a year ago now (I think it may even be 2 years now), any new feature support (that depends upon X or Wayland) is ONLY to be found in Wayland.
wove

Post by wove »

I beleive I read that RedHat was the maintainer of xorg and they were looking for a new maintainer with eventual plans to drop xorg. FreeBSD is discussing whether to investigate porting wayland to BSD. I would guess that will not happen during my lifetime:) However FreeBSD has the same KDE version as Endeavour and xorg worked just fine with touch screen and touchpad.

Wayland session does mess up a few things. The Konqueror settings panel is a total mess and almost unusable, I am going to need to go back to an xorg session to set the configuration. I have only been in a Wayland session now for a few hours and that is the only real glitch. An added bonux from Wayland is that I did gain a working on screen keyboard in Endeavour.

I did notice when I went to the Neon site that they had posted a new "user edition" today, which I assumed was to add the new KDE. I downloaded it, but have not looked at it. And since I sorted out the problems I have having with Endeavour, I might not even bother to look at it.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I keep Neon installed on a laptop, and since I dumped Chromium globally for Edge, the whole Snap thing isn't that big a deal anymore, but overall, EndeavourOS > Neon. Just a much faster and less "finicky" OS. I'm sure it can't be ONLY me, but even the *buntu LTS releases don't seem very stable to me, so Neon fails to be TRULY stable IMO due to that less than wonderful base. I would do carwheels (and that would be a site to behold given my very Penguin from batman -esque physique) if they would simply rebase Neon on Debian stable.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Oddly, Norbert still built 5.24 for Debian. So anyone using the npreining repos for Debian can update to 5.24 as well now.