KDE 5.24 finger print and overview.

Discussion of software apps
tlmiller

Re: KDE 5.24 finger print and overview.

Post by tlmiller »

So, as to the original question on this thread, Plasma 5.24 most definitely does say it has support for fingerprint readers. That said, I have checked on the laptops I own that has a fingerprint reader (not many, T14G2A w/ EndeavourOS (wayland & X11, T495 w/ Neon (wayland)) and I don't see the option for it.
wove

Post by wove »

Endeavour updated on the X220 and I do not see anything about setting up a finger print reader. The system does see the finger print reader. I did at one point have Gnome on an X220 and I know that Gnome recognize it.
wove

Post by wove »

Just a quick follow up on this. With Endeavour upgrading to 5.24 it is left missing a couple packages to activate the finger print reader you need to add fprintd and libfprint. After I did that on the X220 the finger print configuration showed up in the Users section of System Settings. The overview is also not activated by default, but can be activated in the Desktop Effects section of Workspace Behavior of System Settings.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Ah yes, after installing frpintd the option is there in users in the systemsettings for EndeavourOS. edit: And Neon. Wish I had a fingerprint reader on the G1A now, just so I could test Debian as well.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Gave up fingerprint readers, as I had so many issues with it suddenly not recognizing my print.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So, found out the 7415 DOES have a fingerprint reader, it just doesn't work on Debian. Also found out that Debian's version of wayland is apparently SUPER old, as there's TONS of bugs I haven't experienced in Arch. I ultimately just dropped Debian from the 7415, went to EndeavourOS on it, and it's running in Wayland much more stably and better supported. I then moved the L14 G1A over to Debian from EndeavourOS, since that's no touchscreen, it doesn't need Wayland. I still have Wayland on my desktop w/ Debian, which works just fine since it doesn't have all the "extra" bells and whistles that a laptop does that Wayland on Debian just doesn't support well.
Debian + X11 + Npreining still fantastic OS, but have to live with a complete lack of accelerometer support. Not that I care that much, but it's neat that it works on the 7415.
I did set up my fingerprint on the 7415 as well. It's no longer a swipe, it's just a hold. Setting it up on Plasma has you set there and touch, release, touch, release like 20 times to get a (reasonably) good image of your fingerprint. I still have my INCREDIBLE doubts as to how good the hardware is, and would never use it as my primary security device. But I'll see if I can't use it some for sudo access and such. Be kinda neat.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just updated Neon to 5.24 and liked what I saw. Many nice features that I had already experienced with Zorin in a different way. Memory usage was down a bit and the quick view is a nice touch.
Site Moderator