Konqueror

Discussion of software apps
wove

Konqueror

Post by wove »

I have become really impressed with how well Endeavour OS is working. I have been used the Plasma DE on Endeavour and it is working flawlessly for me. I like Konqueror both as a file manager and as a web browser. It stagnated for years and not much effort seems to have been put into keeping it working well. It has always been a powerful file manager, but its use on the web has gotten worse and worse as time has progressed. For my personal use it has done alright with simple websites, but it has been necessary to have another browser to sites using newer web technologies.

Konqueror on Plasma on Endeavour is currentlt at 21.12.1 with the last update coming on January 6th. And it seems that someone decided to give it some real love. It seems like it is back being a real first class browser. It plays YouTube videos, it does fine on my financial sites. It does have a limited set of extensions and can not use extensions from Chrome, however it does have a small set of native extensions which include translation and google drive integration.

Apple took khtml and turned it into webkit which I think came as a real shock to kde. Apple did use webkit in the same way that kde used khtml. If the system had a resource present that could handle content found on the web the Mac OS will use that to handle the content much the same way that Konqueror did that, and it appears that KDE has brought that behavior back into kwebengine. Click to open and image, and Konqueror will use Qwenview's imaging processor to open that image. It calls Okular to deal with pdf.

Konqueror is back to being a really top tier application.
tlmiller

Re: Konqueror

Post by tlmiller »

Never would have expected that. I thought they had long given up on developing the khtml engine. Kinda good to hear that they are keeping it functional though. Although according to it's wikipedia entry it will be completely discontinued when Frameworks 6 is released (the KHTML engine, that is).
wove

Post by wove »

I was curious and did a bit more digging. Konqueror is now using qtwebengine which is based on blink for web renderings. KHTML will indeed be gone with Frameworks 6. The konq extensions/addons are all being updated. The file management backend has been moved over to using Dolphin's backend. The Konqueror website says that Konqueror should handle any website that can be handled in Chrome, should handle all file management tasks that Dolphin handles and have all the built in functionality that Konqueror was noted for.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I admit I've never liked Konqueror as a file manager. At no point since KDE 1 did I think it was even an even above adequate file manager. It wasn't a bad browser back in the later days of KDE 2, but even by KDE 3, it was getting behind in support of newest technologies, although still worked well.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here wasnt a fan of it as a file manager.
Site Moderator