Goodbye Mozilla - it was fun....

Discussion of software apps
bin

Goodbye Mozilla - it was fun....

Post by bin »

...but the time has come to part.

I've been using Firefox and Thunderbird since day 1. I was using Netscape in 199x and that's longer than many marriages these days.

BUT recent(ish) changes in the UI, profile portability etc etc have just gone too far. Now Tbird won't even recognise userChrome.css due to bl***y GTK3 it's time to go.

So, hello Evolution and Brave..........along with KDE Plasma!
wove

Re: Goodbye Mozilla - it was fun....

Post by wove »

bin wrote:Tbird won't even recognise userChrome.css due to bl***y GTK3
I am a bit lost here. Evolution has long been a tent pole gtk application, seems like your leaving the frying pan to jump into the fire.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Brave also has some issues and Ill second wove's comment about Evolution. Plasma is a great DE, but even with some issues with Firefox, I still prefer it.
Thunderbird I love and its been a great app.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Brave actually manages to be my least favorite browser. It's just...awful IMO. I've always wanted to really get Evolution set up well since it's a MUCH more full-featured mail program than Thunderbird, but Tbird just keeps working for everything I need, so I just keep using it and not going to Evolution. Course, with the changes to GTK, might have to find something that's reasonably decent to replace EITHER one here in the near to mid future.
bin

Post by bin »

wove wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:39 pm
bin wrote:Tbird won't even recognise userChrome.css due to bl***y GTK3
I am a bit lost here. Evolution has long been a tent pole gtk application, seems like your leaving the frying pan to jump into the fire.
Not really - the main issue is the spacing of the inbox message list and its appearance in Tbird
Up to and including Debian 10 it has been possible to change the line spacing and font size of the inbox with a couple of lines of .css
Now it is no longer possible to get that to work. Something has also changed in the way it handles profiles.
Evolution does not suffer from this problem - the line spacing is how I like it and there is alternate line background shading which I prefer.
It isn't perfect but it works for me. :)
bin

Post by bin »

crosscourt wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:24 pm Brave also has some issues and Ill second wove's comment about Evolution. Plasma is a great DE, but even with some issues with Firefox, I still prefer it.
Thunderbird I love and its been a great app.
FF in and of itself is fine as a browser. What has got right up my nose is the way it is positioning how much control I as a user have over how it appears on my desktop. Brave is by no means perfect, but I can live with it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I make very few if any changes in browsers so that side of the issue doesnt really concern me. I want stable and easy to use with few issues and for now Brave isnt that browser. Vivaldi is actually more stable than Brave at least in my use.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I hate to say it but I found myself using Edge with Zorin a lot more than I thought I would.
Site Moderator