Midori web browser

Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Midori web browser

Post by crosscourt »

Installed it on Mint Cinnamon and was pleasantly surprised as it worked fine and even played Youtube videos. Resource usage is lower than any of the other browsers Ive tried except for Epiphany. Midori is included in many major distros like Manjaro.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Midori web browser

Post by tlmiller »

Last time I tried it I know I had MASSIVE issues on sites like nfl.com and several computer information sites. But works for basic browsing of non-javascript heavy sites quite well.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Didnt have any issues with NFL.com nor any of my favorite tech sites.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I just installed it to take a look, and wow have they changed things since the last time I used it... Hadn't actually used it since the merge and switch to Electron. Hadn't realized they did such an absolute overhaul.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was impressed and Im going to start using it a bit more with Mint.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I probably last used Midori when I was trying to get a bit more life out of an old Thinkpad T40. I do remember it as being pretty snappy. It is available as a flatpak, so I have installed it in Silverblue. Flathub lists it as being "unsafe", which I gather is because most of its dependencies have not been updated in sometime. The browser itself is smail, but it does download almost 400MB of system run time requirements. The flatpak version is version 9

It is available for Windows and Android too. It does appear to work fine as crosscourt has said. I am typing this reply using the Midori browser. It took a very long time to load YouTube, but it plays the videos fine. It appears to download the all content before it renders, so while it does seem like it takes a good while for pages to load. It indexes the content it downloads, so it is somewhat noted for how quickly you can search within the page you are visiting.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It varies on Youtube as some videos come up and play right away, while others you have to wait for the download.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been using Midori a bit more on Zorin 16 and so far its working very well even though Im going to continue to use Firefox. Not sure whats different as Ive used Midori with other distros but had problems.
Site Moderator