Gnome/Epiphany web browser

Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Gnome/Epiphany web browser

Post by crosscourt »

Giving it a try on Mint Cinnamon and its very basic and straight forward but it works very well. Uses only769mb on launch, compared to 869mb for Chrome and 1.09mb for Firefox. While in these forums its only using 877mbs. Will do more tests and report back.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Gnome/Epiphany web browser

Post by crosscourt »

Tried quite a few websites and most are good, but there are some that dont work. Youtube was one of them even though my anime site worked fine. Some websites didnt come up properly so given how light this browser is, it doesnt work well enough for my use.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Epiphany has become my daily browser. It is often poor on YouTube, which seems to me a function of the distro. Epiphany is the Gnome browser and as such it relies heavily in gstreamer is handle any mulitmedia. It works flawless on Fedora Desktop, which is plain vanilla Gnome. You would think it would work with XFCE and Budgie and Mate, but generally it doesn't. It runs fairly well on gtk based systems, but some of its features appear to need the full Gnome package. Seahorse needs to be there to save passwords. I do not particularity hold that against it, it does advertise itself as the Gnome Browser and while the minimum dependencies to get a browsing window are gtk and gtkwebkit, to have a good experience with it requires more.

Linux/opensource users seem to generally want software to fully usable on all desktop environments and generally most software apps will run on any DE. I do think though that software runs to its fullest potential when running on the DE it was designed for. That seems to be the feeling of Gnome developers too and they are raising quite a stink by making changes that will make it more difficult to run Gnome software on semi Gnome desktops.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive tried Gnome web on Cinnamon and Zorin with Gnome Shell and its a bit hit or miss. Youtube and nfl.com dont work with it at all. AS an everyday browser its too erratic without some improvements. In comparison Midori works with both my distros with no issues.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I have used it in VM's, and it works perfectly fine for me. Obviously, being tied to Gnome means I don't CARE for it, as I despise Gnome anymore. Also I'm not a fan of the fact that it still doesn't have a working extensions system.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I cant get Epiphany to do anything right as its not following my settings either.
Site Moderator