Microsoft Edge Linux now stable

Discussion of software apps
tlmiller

Microsoft Edge Linux now stable

Post by tlmiller »

More here

I've upgraded on one of my machines, it's actually the same version as the last beta that's now marked stable.
crosscourt

Re: Microsoft Edge Linux now stable

Post by crosscourt »

I hate to admit it but I like Edge and use it more than I thought I would in Win10. Havent tried it on Linux yet.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm running it on about 1/2 my linux machines. I have it on the Neon install for obvious reasons (only Chromium browser available that's not full Chrome), and I have it on several Debian boxes as well. Thus far haven't bothered installing it on any of the Arch boxes.
wove

Post by wove »

Is Edge on Linux as tied to MS services as it is on Windows? On Windows 11 Edge is very annoying. It is hard to change search engines, and when you do you get nags that you are not secure because you are not using the defaults.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

No, I haven't had any nags and changed it to DDG or Google on the machines I've got it installed on. It does have the "Bing (recommended)" in the search engine choice, but that's as far as it went. Which is the big reason I don't want Bing, since the search results I've read are ok now, but the constant badgering on the site to use all their other services is just annoying, so I avoid Bing like the plague.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been running it in Linux and also with Windows 7 on my older gaming rig and its very stable.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I noticed that Edge was installed with Windows 8 a while back. I had read MS was releasing it for 7 and 8. I did not stay with Win 8 for very long. I was wondering if Edge on the older systems is getting updates or was Edge just a one off install, sort of a last gasp as 8 and 7 reached end of life.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm not 100% that I'm correct in this, but I believe I've seen it get updates on the couple of Win Server 08R2 servers we still have boucing around at my (soon to be) old job (tomorrow's last day!!!). So if I have seen that correctly, then it would still be getting updates.
wove

Post by wove »

Just curious as to why one would have a web browser installed on a server. My NextCloud can have work done on it from a browser, so it does have Apache(?) installed, but there is no browser on it. I imagine one could be installed, but I do not see that it would be useful, and of course it would be necessary to install something for a gui as well. But then again NextCloud on a Pi is not an industrial strength server either, My lack of understanding of server setups is staggering.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

They're Tomcat servers, so a local browser to connect to localhost:8082/<webapp> to verify functionality locally when having issues accessing is useful. Same reason all my linux Tomcat servers have lynx/links installed.