Linux equivalent to "arp -a" in Windows Power Shell

Discussion of software apps
wove

Linux equivalent to "arp -a" in Windows Power Shell

Post by wove »

In Windows PowerShell you can type the command "arp -a" and it will output a list of ip addresses being used by devices on the local network. Anyone know of the equivalent command for the linux terminal?
tlmiller

Re: Linux equivalent to "arp -a" in Windows Power Shell

Post by tlmiller »

So I know little about arp in linux. However, you can see your entire arp tables by cat /proc/net/arp, and the ip neighbor command gives a recent history of arp usage. Both of those are close, but not necessarily EXACTLY what you're looking for.
wove

Post by wove »

Thanks, both cat /proc/net/arp and ip neighbor just return the ip of the router. My network is sort of a mess. Back 20 years ago when I set it up it was necessary to assign printers a static ip if you hoped to find them and use them. New printers and OSes have improved to the point that generally computers and printers find each other with little fan fare.

Back when I had to assign addresses, I set a password on my router and over time I forgot what it was and the one I wrote down is not the right one. This has not been a problem until I setup NextCloud and it is hard to stay connected to it with a dynamically assigned ip address and no access to the router setup.

I ordered faster internet from my ISP. It will be setup next week and will involve a new router. I am kind of excited about that. The current router has been in use for well over a decade and is not very fast and has become somewhat unreliable over the last year or so. The current router's ports are 10baseT, so it should provide a nice speed boost for internal sharing as well as 25Mbps internet, which for me is a 2.5X speed increase.
chris

Post by chris »

Have you tried : nmap -sn "local.ip.add.ress/24"
wove

Post by wove »

Thanks for the response. It took me a few minutes to figure out nmap, but nmap did produce what I was looking for.