FreeOffice 2021 released

Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

FreeOffice 2021 released

Post by crosscourt »

I installed it on my Dell 3350 last night and its really nice. All the niggles I had with 2018 are gone but Ill report back once Ive used it more.
https://freeoffice.com
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: FreeOffice 2021 released

Post by crosscourt »

Got it installed on all my systems and very impressed so far. No major issues have cropped up so far. It doesnt remove 2018 when you install, so you can either keep the older version just in case or remove it manually.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I replaced WPS Office on my Thinkpad T495 with this to test.
wove

Post by wove »

I believe that Manjaro was planning to swap out FreeOffice for LibreOffice a while back, then got so much flack for thinking about it that they changed course. I think Manjaro is about the only distro that does have FreeOffice included in their regular repositories.

I was looking at the pricing for the non-free suite and it seemed very reasonable. The full version includes the ability to create epubs. They also have FreePDF software, which does not seem to go much beyond what Evince and Okular can do, but the paid version does offer text searchable pdf creation from scans, which always attracts my attention.

I am not sure why Windows includes nothing like Evince or Okular, so the Softmaker pdf software looks like it would be a really handy addition to Windows
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I have a license of 2021, and the only real thing that FreeOffice lacks that the licensed version has that I'd be IN THE LEAST interested in is the support for creating Tables in Worksheets. Other than that, everything that the licensed version adds if of 0 interest to me.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

FreeOffice at least in my experience is more compatible with Microsoft Office and Ive had few issues. My next best choice is OnlyOffice which I use with Zorin which works well, followed by WPS then LibreOffice.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Very impressed so far and down the road Id love to get my wife to switch over to the paid version.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

I have been using the paid version for years. The recent uplift to v2021 came with a free license for PaintShopPro 2021!

Textmaker it is the only (Linux) WP software I have ever found that can produce complex tables that are 100% compatible and interchangeable with Word. Libreoffice and others just render the same document as garbage.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ill check that out bin as PaintShop Pro would be a nice thing to use.
Site Moderator