Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Fotoxx: photo collection manager

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Fotoxx: photo collection manager

Post by tlmiller »

I've used this before, and I do prefer it to shotwell (due to speed), but it's honestly not often I have need of photo management (beyond batch rename).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive only used it once and liked it and when I saw the article over at itsfoss.com I decided to post it.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I have been using Shotwell for so long, I think changing to something else would prove too much work. I have found that DigiKam that ships with Trinity uses the meta data created in Shotwell and so creates a very similar layout and easy to navigate system. Oddly I have never figured out how to edit the meta data in DigiKam so that it works with Shotwell, so after having added many photos to Shotwell, I need to sync my Pictures folder from a Shotwell system over to a DigiKam system.
bin

Post by bin »

In Trinity, Digikam is highly unstable if you are trying to edit a photo due to littlecms version clashes.

Showfoto is the viewer component and can be installed on its own.

It depends on which part of the metadata you want to edit, but if you want to add comments and descriptions then use XnViewMP which allows you to edit both IPTC amd XMP. I have found the IPTC comments and descriptions are portable.

Back to the subject - I've built the latest version of Fotoxx. It is an interesting bit of software but I don't think it will replace my current photo tools any time soon :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Shotwell has always been my favorite back when I did a lot more photo work.
Site Moderator