tlmiller

Plasma by KDE 5.22 released

Post by tlmiller »

More here

KDE Neon already available.
crosscourt

Re: Plasma by KDE 5.22 released

Post by crosscourt »

Might have to reinstall Neon as Feren wont get it quite that quickly. Ive enjoyed the newer KDE versions and grow weary of using older versions so Neon may have to become my go to distro.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Arch linux upgraded to 5.22 today.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Nothing on Feren yet but still hoping. How do you like it so far?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Most of the changes are very "behind the scenes". Not a LOT of immediately visible changes. I like that the power options are reversed on the gui. Before if you clicked the power icon in the system tray, it's enabled and you'd CLEAR the checkmark to disable power management (presentiations and the like), now the checkbox is cleared and you enable it to disable power management. Don't know why, but seems more logical to me.

Also like that ksysguard has been fully replaced by plasma-systemmonitor, and can now be uninstalled in most OS's (for some reason, Void HAS updated to 5.22, DOES have plasma-systemmonitor, but ksysguard is still marked as a dependency for plasma-desktop).

The improved transparencies and such I don't really notice, I had to actually set side-by-side with a Debian laptop to see that they were different.

But ultimately, it does seem a little more cohesive, and I haven't found any ISSUES (thus far), so I'm saying good upgrade.

Wobbly windows still works, so the single most important gui element is still there!! :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I watched a video of 5.22 and the transparencies look really nice and the improvements with Krunner are good. Agree about system monitor as I prefer it as well. Ive got to do some Windows updating this weekend but may install Neon if Feren doesnt hustle it up with 5.22.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Hah, finally found a way!!

wove

Post by wove »

Nice, how did you pull that off?
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I always knew there had to be someone using obs to do this for themselves, and finally found someone who not only did it for themselves, but had set up their obs repos to be able to function in SID or Testing. So just had to add their testing repos and upgrade. It is a 2-parter, 1st apt full-upgrade DOES remove some packages (plasma-desktop & plasma-workspace along with a few others), but then easy enough to reinstall plasma-desktop which pulls it all back in (along with a few packages I got rid of intentionally).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Netrunner when they went to Debian initially was using testing so I got to use all the most recent packages. Im not ready to jump through hoops just yet to run newer KDE with any distro. Feren is running 5.21.5 and their pace of change is pretty reasonable.
Site Moderator