Plasma by KDE 5.22 released

Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Re: Plasma by KDE 5.22 released

Post by crosscourt »

That is cool as I prefer the system monitor. Hoping to get it with Feren OS fairly soon.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Plasma 5.22.2 released!! More information here

Already updated my work computer (Neon), haven't checked yet on any of my ARch installs or my Debian installs to see if it's arleady available there. Don't expect it to be available yet though (tomorrow).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Still nothing with Feren but considering how fast its dropping down the Distrowatch rankings I might change to Neon. Feren should have stayed Mint based with KDE as it would have garnered more attention than becoming just another Ubuntu Based KDE distro.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

With Ubuntu really pushing Snaps, I don't blame them for switching. And with having a Plasma desktop, Debian doesn't offer a harder base to keep updated, since neither Ubuntu nor Debian update the version of Plasma once it's shipped under normal circumstances.

Also...today is Wednesday. So I was wrong about the Arch & Debian, BOTH got 5.22.2 today. I THOUGHT today was Tuesday. Also forgot to put trash out thinking it was Tuesday. Whoops.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The vast majority of Feren fans were Mint users so Snaps really wouldnt be a draw to be honest. Keeping it Mint based would have attracted a lot of users and did initially till they went the Ubuntu route.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, but they might agree with the "snap is the future" concept of Ubuntu, in which case it makes sense to move to Ubuntu base instead of Mint. Mind you, I see what you're saying, and PERSONALLY agree. Also the fact that Kubuntu already exists and moving to a pure Ubuntu base basically makes you a 2nd-class Kubuntu...

But just saying, they probably have valid reasons for them for making the jump.
wove

Post by wove »

There seems to be a lot of movement toward having an immutable system, with userland being built with sandboxed software in the user folder. Fedora's SilverBlue is built this way using flatpaks for userland. Endless OS is built in the same manner. Windows S can only use store apps, which are very similar in that they operate in userland and are kept away from touching system components. That really just seems like BSD jails brought over to Linux (and Windows, and iOS and Android)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I asked the Feren devs about why they did it after they agreed with me that going KDE while they were still Mint based was a good idea.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Plasma by KDE 5.22.3 released

Post by tlmiller »

Plasma 5.22.3 released. More information here.

Installed this on my Debian machines (how weird is it to read that), don't really see much difference, but that's GENERALLY a good thing for a small point release, it means you've got most of the bugs worked out!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I guess Ill bite the bullet and install Neon as Feren hasnt moved at all.
Site Moderator