Firefox 89 released

Discussion of software apps
wove

Re: Firefox 89 released

Post by wove »

Bitwarden was mentioned and I was curious as to thoughts on password managers. I have from time to time looked at password managers but have never pulled the trigger on any of the services. I do store passwords via Firefox, which can be synced with Epiphany. I have read that they do have an API, that would allow other browsers to also participate in Firefox Sync, however the only browser I know that uses it is Epiphany.

Lenovo when they still offered the ThinkVantage software included a password manager, that would only fill in passwords, when you either enter a global password or do your fingerprint, which I liked because visiting a log in site did not automatically fill in the password.

Are password managers more secure than browser provided ones? Is the free tier sufficient? Are they generally convenient to use? I noticed that Bitwarden can use a Yubi Key which I have and think of as pretty secure for 2fa, but disappointed that few sites/services seem to make use of it.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Are they more secure? They CAN be, but they're not necessarily. The big advantage of cloud based password managers is that you can connect to them on ANYTHING to get your passwords. LastPass has been successfully hacked into multiple times, no customer data has EVER been leaked (according to lastpass). Not sure about Bitwarden though, I know it's been hacked AT LEAST once several years ago, but not sure if they got customer data or not.

As to free tier...LastPass, no. Free tier is any longer only allowed to access on a single device. 1pass I don't know. Bitwarden definitely. I do have the paid tier for Bitwarden because it's like $10 or $15/year. I don't honestly even know what you get for that. I just support it because it's cheap to do so and I do use Bitwarden a LOT.

Yeah, I think all the major ones (Lastpass, 1pass, Bitwarden) can use YubiKey at this point.

So just looked it up, I get 1GB encryption file storage with the $10/year premium membership. Which I've managed to use...0MB so far...

Also, Ubuntu updated to Firefox 89 today.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

FF89 indeed came out today for the Ubuntu based distros. I installed it on Feren OS and it runs very well.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Does a better job with popups on all my sites versus the last two versions of Firefox.
Site Moderator