Firefox 89 released

Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Firefox 89 released

Post by crosscourt »

Nice new look with quite a few nice looking extras.

www.mozilla.org/firefox
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Firefox 89 released

Post by tlmiller »

Had to boot up Arch to get it...I don't really SEE anything changed myself. I mean, the menus look a LITTLE different, but not much really. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im running it on Win10 and the look of the start page is much changed and notifications are far nicer looking, along with the menus. It also loads quicker and the security features are much better and easy to interact with.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Definitely faster and loads faster. Security features kick in a lot more on the same sites i typically visit.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

On Arch definitely doesn't feel faster to launch or load. Mind you, hard to get much faster than it was already, as it launches near instantly (compared to Chromium). Loading has been a bit of a mixed bag in the past, with the OCCASIONAL page just...not loading. Haven't had that experience yet on 89, but then, it happened once every few DAYS previously, so it's not like it was COMMON enough to really know when to expect it to happen. Overall, I like the new toolbar look (although I had to compare it to my desktop open at the same time to actually notice the changes), the menu is...fine. I can't say I prefer or not, it's just different. The bookmarks menu is uglier, much larger and less pleasant looking. Beyond that, I still don't see a difference in day-to-day usage.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Overall it looks more modern, better looking and I like the changes overall.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Overall, I'd probably agree. I understand WHY they did the bookmarks menu larger, even though *I* dislike it. The rest of the changes I'd say I on the balance like.
wove

Post by wove »

Firefox was my goto browser for a long time, but right now Trinity on the Pi 400 is the only thing I have it installed on and that install is the ESR version, so it could be a long while before I see the changes. Falkon and Epiphany and Konqueror (almost) have become sufficiently good that I am able to use them full time. Webkit is part of a default install of both Gnome and KDE and so using their browser gui on top of the built in webkit seems like it would be the least resource intensive.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

If falkon ever starts supporting plugins that I really NEED (bitwarden mostly), I could probably use that as a daily browser without too many issues.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Havent given Falkon a look recently as Ive been happy with my present browser.
Site Moderator