piclone-very nice cloning software

Discussion of software apps
wove

piclone-very nice cloning software

Post by wove »

Raspberry Foundation has created some very simple small applications that are really very useful. A deb package called piclone installs and shows up as "SD Copy". It is in the Raspberry repository, I am not sure if it is the general debian repository, but it is a git hub project <https://github.com/raspberrypi-ui/piclone> and can be built.

While its description says its purpose is to copy the SD card to another SD card in a USB card reader, as far as I can tell, it will actually clone any drive to any other drive assuming it fits of course. It defaults to making the last last partition of the source drive fill any remaining space of the destination drive. So if the final partition is a swap or restore partition it will require some manual intervention to jigger everything to your liking. If the source is larger than the destination, if will still make the clone assuming there is room for the data.

All that said tough it really pretty much just select a source drive and select a destination drive. Then click copy and head on off to lunch.
crosscourt

Re: piclone-very nice cloning software

Post by crosscourt »

Linux side I use Clonezilla most of the time and on the Windows side I use Minitool Shadowmaker both free apps.
Site Moderator