Steam Proton has come a long way...

Discussion of software apps
tlmiller

Steam Proton has come a long way...

Post by tlmiller »

So decided to test Proton on Steam again with my games. Testing via flatpak installs since none of my installs anymore support 32-bit libraries. All 3 games SEEM to run. Haven't actually played GAMES yet, but they all 3 launched. Star Wars Rebellion is only in a 640x480 Window, so completely unplayable, but according to some searching, you can use the built in winetricks to force it to go fullscreen. Just need to figure out how. I may actually be able to start playing my games on Linux after all these years. Odd thing, is that 2/3 are still rated the same as when they didn't work. And none of them are "officially" considered working, they all require the option "Enable Steam Play for all other titles", but...it's a chance they'll work, which is awesome.
crosscourt

Re: Steam Proton has come a long way...

Post by crosscourt »

Both my friends and myself have tried to game in Linux but its just a tough trudge depending on the game. Im not at the point where I would game on Linux full time but things may change down the road. Outside of the need to use cd cracks with Win10, Im playing a lot of older games as well as newer ones with few issues. I had maintained an older system running WinXP which was a great OS for older gaming but no longer need it.
I also do a lot of gaming work for some other sites so for me I need to maintain at least a decent Win10 build even though I use my friends pcs a lot for certain game testing.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, I just played a full game of Ascendency Mod for Sins of a Solar Empire: REbellion, and I'm happy to report that at least THAT GAME works basically flawlessly. Never had any stuttering, all the visuals at max, never crashed, never even hiccuped. Now I'll have to try Empires at War: Forces of Corruption w/ a mod enabled and see how it does.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im mainly running Mechwarrior Online and Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries with the DLC soon to come out. Linux isnt an option at least for now but I already own a lot of games with physical media so its a lot easier for me to run them with Windows. Even the older games I got cheap that would no longer run in Win10, with the OS fix run great. Looking down the road when I retire for alternatives due to cost so by then Im hoping Linux will be an option.

My overall experience with Linux has been hugely mixed with problems, driver issues and other display problems.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I don't own physical media anymore for games, got to the point where my older games was too hard to get them to run due to all the DRM that no longer worked in Win10, and then Empires at War ONLY the steam version got the latest patches that fixed a BUNCH of stuff, the retail & GOG versions didn't (Steam hired an ex LucasArts person to fix it is why), etc. So I play via Gog or Steam. GOG obviously is still Windows only, but then, it's also old games that I RARELY wish to play (except Star Wars Rebellion, but I'm hoping to get my Steam version of that to work too in linux).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got an extensive collection of older games, some collectors items such as Strife the only RPG made with the Doom Engine. Much newer games are a mixed bag and even though Digital downloads are here and the future, I still prefer physical media. Many issues can occur when a gaming site suddenly shuts down or has issues and you are stuck. Many were afraid that the Mech 5 DLC is being released on Steam first so what happens if you buy it from Steam but the original game was purchased on Epic Games.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My dream though in retirement is to be Windows free both with gaming and general use but the direction Im going with possibly being a Dell support tech, that may not happen.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So, Star Wars Empire at War Forces of Corruption works great as well. So it's just a matter of seeing if I can figure out how to get Star Wars Rebellion to run fullscreen, then test if it actually plays stable, and if so...I will have 100% of the games I play with ANY regularity working on Linux!!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I bounce around a lot with what games I play with a few that are everyday players. The list is about 30 games of my favorite I tend to play them a lot of the time games. I also test a lot of independent games as Ive been involved with the indiegame movement for a long time.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I have significantly fewer, there's like 5 games I play with any regularity. The 2 I've tested here, SW Rebellion obviously, Motorsport Manager, and linux native 0AD.