Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

SysMonTask task manager for Linux

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: SysMonTask task manager for Linux

Post by tlmiller »

Kinda neat, I guess, that it looks like Windows, but honestly I like the new KDE System Monitor (NOT just a ksysguard upgrade, but annoyingly it does depend on ksysguard even though part of it duplicates ksysguard's output) that was added with 5.20, and it's got more features to boot.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I also like the KDE system monitor but SysMonTask gives people another option depending on what distro they are using.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

In Haiku the system monitor is build right into the main menu. You can see all the processes, what processor time and memory the process is using and most importantly you as a user can make changes to the resources a process is using. So if for instance you want to do something in your browser you can go into the task list and tell the video renderer process to cut back on processor and memory usage. Of course doing that will make the video render take much longer, so you need to remember to go give it more resources.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Haiku has a lot of kinda cool features. Too bad it still doesn't work with like 80% of actual hardware there is, I'd really like to be able to play around with it, but it literally doesn't work on anything I own via bare metal installation.
wove

Post by wove »

Haiku does come up short with a lot of hardware. It runs pretty well on my Thinkpads, but does lack in many areas. It does not really use printers, or webcams and it lacks any graphics acceleration and it makes no efforts at power management, beyond supplying a battery guage.

I have always enjoyed its focus on the user. There is an OpenGL teapot demo that spins a teapot around. If you bring another application to the front the teapot will spin slower depending on what resources the foreground application uses. Using Handbrake, which is a native BeOS application, to transcode a video will slow the teapot almost to a stop. Yet when you bring the teapot to the foreground, it will resume it high speed spinning, and Handbrake being in the background will slow the video transcoding to allow system resources to spin the pot.

It is the only current operating system I know of that really puts the users needs above all others.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Which thinkpads do you have? I have a couple and Haiku doesn't even boot on them (T495 & T14 G1/AMD) to ATTEMPT to install.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Getting back to SysMonTask, I ran it tonite for the first time and its a great choice for mainstream users. Many distros though already have their own system monitors.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Sorry to move the thread to Haiku. A system monitor that could be used to actually control system resource usage rather than make pretty pictures of it is very useful. Haiku's has a monitor that allows for control of system resources. That makes it a useful monitor. System monitors I have seen on Linux, Windows and Mac seem lame in comparison.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Totally agree as I prefer this style of system monitor.
Site Moderator