Cinnamon desktop

Discussion of software apps
wove

Cinnamon desktop

Post by wove »

Every now and then Armbian tosses up an image with a different desktop default. The other day they tossed up an Ubuntu 20.04 image with the Cinnamon desktop. It included every huge software package you could imagine, but lacked a terminal and a package manager. I dropped into the console and installed synaptic, which allowed me to get a terminal installed, and easily remove all the items I have no use for. This is the first Pinebook Pro image I have used that has power mangement working as expected and wow is that ever nice.

Cinnamon desktop is very application oriented. The launcher lists the applications and you can search for applications, but not for documents. I tend to document oriented, wanting to either see my documents or quickly search for them. Cinnamon does not work that way. But beyond that I am kind of pleased with it. The resource usage is good, the system is fairly peppy there is much to like.
crosscourt

Re: Cinnamon desktop

Post by crosscourt »

File manager should have a quick search feature. Theres also tools like Catfish that should be available with an Ubuntu based distro.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Cinnamon desktop

Post by crosscourt »

Only Cinnamon desktop distro Ive used is Linux Mint which is very nice, fleshed out and has everything a user might need, including a system maintenance feature and easy kernel install remove feature. Resource usage is decent at 700mb at GUI. The overall feel is very Windows like but isnt as intuitive for me as KDE .
Site Moderator