Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Filmulator image editor

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
wove

Re: Filmulator image editor

Post by wove »

My newest digital camera is an old Kodac DC???? that is 20 years old. An old 2MP job, which just keeps things as jpegs. I was bitten early by the digital camera bug, with my first camera being an Apple Quicktake 100 (I think it was 0.4MP). Generally I just look at the images on some screen and have actually never seen much reason for doing better than 2MP. I also have no clue what a "raw" image might be or what one might do with it. For an image editor I just need one that will let me play with the RGB graphs, which with today's software seems to be just about any image editor out there.

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They describe a raw image as a minimally processed and uncompressed file, no touch up or compression.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

RAW is essentially what the sensor gets when the shutter fires. The onboard processor then converts that to jpg (if you are shooting in jpg) using parameters set by the mfr plus any adjustments that the user can apply to the shot in the camera settings such as sharpness, contrast, white balance etc. The result is baked in to the resulting jpg and whilst you can make further adjustments in an editing programme, you are limited in what you can do.
With the RAW picture you have more headroom in tricky areas such as retrieving detail from under or overexposed areas as well as colour adjustment - well practically everything really. Most of the RAW editors - Darktable, Rawtherapee, Lightzone and so on have modules that allow you to give various film like tones to your picture. Filmulator is focussed totally on that one area.
It's one of those weird things isn't it? We rushed to dump vinyl and now go to great lengths to reproduce the 'vinyl sound'. We rushed to dump film and now go to great lengths to make our digital photos look 'film like'. Presumably when we are all driving electric cars we'll have something that produces that authentic smell of exhaust..... :)
wove

Post by wove »

Thanks, as I read the description of Filmulator talking about the formation of silver crystals, it seemed more chemistry than digital. Authentic smell of exhaust, gotta love it :) They are now requiring that electric cars make noise, but sadly it is not authentic car sounds.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thanks and couldnt agree more on your observations.
Site Moderator